"Sit-down restaurants are one of the biggest neighborhood development requests of communities across our City, so Ogden Commons is a transformative development for North Lawndale," Mayor Emanuel said. "We're taking vacant land and turning it into places where families can get together and communities can come together. This will be a positive community asset that will encourage new commercial development, create jobs and create a brighter future for the neighborhood and its residents.
The project received $2.5 million in Neighborhood Opportunity Fund funding for the buildout of two ground -floor retail spaces, which are being filled by Ja' Grill and Steak 'n Shake. Ja' Grill is owned by Tony Coates and specializes in Jamaican cuisine. This will be the second location for the business in Chicago—the first is in Hyde Park at Harper Court on 53rd Street. This will be Melvin Buckley's second Steak 'n Shake franchise in the City.—the first is in University Village.
More on illi News
- 19" Outdoor Waterproof Sunlight Readable Monitor, Ideal for Any Environment
- 2019 Grand Master Marketer Recipient Wins Big With Excellent Digital and Marketing Solutions Partner
- Wreath Fineries at the Wineries!
- Hurricane releases cover of Queen / David Bowie classic "Under Pressure"
- Darin Buford Named Director for Northwestern Mutual – Chicago
In June 2017, the CHA awarded The Habitat Company LLC, Sinai Health System, and Cinespace Chicago Film Studios LLC the opportunity to redevelop vacant land commonly known as CHA's Ogden Courts East and Lawndale Complex development site in tandem with adjacent developer-owned parcels, and create a new development to be known as Ogden Commons, a mixed-use, mixed-income community on the site of these two former public housing developments.
"By investing in projects like this for our residents we can build a strong future for the West Side and all of Chicago," Alderman Jason Ervin said. "Our community is excited for the opportunities Ogden Commons will bring and the continued commercial boom along Ogden Avenue."
The 52,000 square feet of office space in Ogden Commons will provide health resources for the community and assist a successful Cinespace incubator program for Chicago based independent film professionals. Future phases will include a pair of mixed-use buildings, in partnership with CHA, along Ogden Avenue with nearly 400 units of housing
The development is also expected to be one of the first in the City to utilize the federal Opportunity Zones program, a tax incentive authorized by the U.S. Department of Treasury that the City of Chicago elected to focus on the neighborhoods most in need in the City, including North Lawndale.
Together, these projects will build upon the growth generated by Cinespace studios and transform Ogden Avenue as a gateway between Douglas Park and central Chicago.
Latest on illi News
- Indeck Debuts "Indeck Answers" with Release of Steam Power Shopping Best Practices eBook
- Fennemore Craig Attorneys Recognized in the 26th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®
- The Woodstock Festival Finally Came to—Wait for It—Woodstock
- Gary St. Fleur, Who Took Down Previous Mayor, Announces Candidacy for Mayor of Scranton, PA
- Phinge Introduces Phriendle and Piccial, the first Rewards-Based, Interchangeable Social Media Platforms to Compete with Facebook and Instagram
- LeFrois Expands Rochester with Two New Business Parks
- Can car rental services in Malta help improve the island's problems?
- Harshness Environment Anti- Corrosion - Sunkye Glass-Sintered Sealing Application & Solutions
- Reborn at 50! Chicago's original school of improvisation, Players Workshop, reopens with a new mission
- Mondo providing track for Footspeed competition at Aug. 23 Saint Sabina Block Party
- Goldblum, Levi, Guttenberg Q&A's, Creative Panels Head Programming At Wizard World Chicago
- Land of Hope: Silk Painting by Oleh Chuyko
- Director and Producer Alon Juwal joins the Israeli Academy of Film and Television
- Thiel College accepting applications for new Speech-Language Pathology graduate program
- Chicago: Mayor Lightfoot Announces Nearly $6 Million In Departmental Savings And Efficiencies Stemming From Operational And Process Improvements
- United® Real Estate Group Ranks as One of the Fastest-Growing Companies for the Fourth Time
- Ken Hawkins Joins Pinnacle Actuarial Resources as Consulting Actuary
- Mayor Lightfoot Launches Chicago Energy Rating System
- George Clinton sparks a Phat Blunt with Miss Velvet and The Blue Wolf
- Country Star Gary West Readies for Worldwide Releases