"Tourism in Chicago creates jobs throughout our city," Mayor Emanuel said. "By continuing to set new tourism records and bring millions more people to Chicago every year, we are generating economic opportunities that reach every Chicago neighborhood."
The Mayor and Choose Chicago made the announcement at Choose Chicago's Annual Meeting held at McCormick Place this year.
Tourism is a crucial component of the city's economic growth and job development strategy. Year-over-year the City continues to see growth in its tourism sector, helping to generate good-paying jobs and providing critical local business and tax revenues. The 2018 Annual Tourism Report details growth in travelers, increase in tax revenues and hotel room stays, and special events hosted in 2018.
More on illi News
- Kenmei Technologies names Ali Wansa as Executive Vice President of Sales
- HDScores Launches New Feature Using Emoticons
- Experience Japan's Historic Edo Period (1603-1868) Today in Tokyo and Tochigi Prefectures
- Mhde Askar Gives Chicago Visitors 6 Tourist Mistakes to Avoid
- The Capitol Hotel Tokyu Offers Authentic Japanese Cultural Experiences
In 2018, Chicago set a new tourism record with 57.7 million visitors, 2.4 million more than the previous year. These increases are the result of a continued focus on growing the City's overnight and leisure visitors to Chicago, who tend to spend more and stay longer. This increase in travelers has also translated into increased hotel room occupancy. In 2018, the City increased the number of rooms occupied by 4.4 percent to a total of 11.8 million rooms.
Special events and programming, such as the James Beard Awards, the Laver Cup, Chicago Theater Week and hundreds of other events contribute to Chicago's booming tourism industry. In 2018, the City announced it will be the proud host of the James Beard Awards through 2027. The 2018 Chicago Theater Week also had a record-breaking year, selling over 12,500 tickets which was an over six percent increase from the previous year. This was the sixth year of Chicago Theater Week.
"The impact of our tourism, meetings and hospitality industry is increasingly noticeable," said David Whitaker, President & CEO of Choose Chicago. "We all know when the city is hopping and full of tourist and convention delegates - and sadly when they are not here. It reaches far beyond the jobs supported and the taxes generated. A great city to visit or meet in first has to be a great city in which to live, work or play in. And the visitor economy helps fuel the ability for Chicago's tourism and entertainment assets to thrive."
More on illi News
- New 21.5" Medical-Grade Touch Screen Display Ideal for O.R. and Medical Carts
- New Children's Book Celebrates Jamaican Culture
- City of Naperville Receives DCEO Grant for Solar Project
- CDI Global Guides Successful Industrial Industry Divestment
- Sun Acquisitions announces Tony Schiappa's Re-Election to Board of Trustees
In total it is estimated that the tourism industry generated over $16 million in overall tourism expenditures in 2018.
To view the full 2018 Annual Tourism Report, visit: http://www.choosechicago.com/annualreport
About Choose Chicago
Choose Chicago is the official sales and marketing organization responsible for promoting Chicago as a global visitor and meetings destination leveraging the city's unmatched assets to ensure the economic vitality of the city and its member business community. For more information, visit choosechicago.com.
Latest on illi News
- CORE® Foods To Showcase New CORE® Bars At Sweets And Snacks Expo
- Gardener's Art Fest at The Growing Place Garden Center
- Open Heaven Conference at Joy Faith Ministries International!
- UrbanBound launches Freeway, a breakthrough relocation product that merges cost control with freedom
- Chicago: Mayor Lightfoot Signs First Executive Order to Limit Aldermanic Prerogative
- WORLD SERIES OF FIGHTING announces the official grappling teams for "WSOF-Submission 1" on June 15th, 2019 at Sam's Town Live
- Lori E. Lightfoot Sworn in as 56th Mayor of Chicago
- Vodacom Group enters into an agreement to acquire majority stake in IoT.nxt
- Naperville Police Department Investigate Shooting Incident
- "American Boy" Creates Cannabis Buzz at the University of Rome, Italy
- Smashmallow Unveils Dipped Line Extension At Sweets & Snacks Expo 2019
- LMS50 Announces New Online Employee Training Courses
- Perceptum Launches Upgraded Website and New Services Offerings for 21st Century Professionals
- Unity of Chicago South Hosts 'Mind, Body & Soul Expo: A Spiritual Experience'
- Single Black Female at eta Theatre
- Legendary Broadcaster Bill Kurtis Interviews Mayor Rahm Emanuel on the Final Episode of "Chicago Stories" Podcast
- Acumentrics, Inc. to Demonstrate Autonomous Power for Critical Missions During SOFIC 2019
- World Series Of Fighting Launches Its Grappling Division With "Submission 1" In Las Vegas
- PHCPPros Principals Pass 5-Year Leadership Mark
- RTM Engineering Consultants Announces New Acquisition