"The Chicago Football Classic is a vital resource for the young people of our city in helping to plan their career and educational pursuits," said Mayor Lightfoot. "During their formative years, we must all come together to help young people discover their talents and interests whether in college or with a trade. It is important that youth and their parents attend this important day to experience and discover all the possibilities that the future holds."
For the first time, the college fair will include a career component for Chicago-area youth produced by the City Colleges of Chicago and the Chicago Public Schools. The college and career fair will be held from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. This expansion will allow CFC to strengthen the enrichment of the various programs offered to students interested in going directly into the workforce after high school. Following the college and career fair will be a battle of the bands between various Chicago Public Schools' and suburban bands with the iconic football game between Howard University and Hampton University kicking off on the field at 3:30 p.m.
More on illi News
- Bootstrapped SaaS startup JustCall ranks 54th Fastest Growing Company on Deloitte's APAC Technology Fast 500
- Successful Pageant Queen Turned Author & Ex Dash Doll Opens Up About Her Painful Past
- Krueck + Sexton Founding Partner Mark Sexton Elected to IIT Board of Trustees
- InFlight Labs Develops FIRST "GADSS" Aircraft-wide Remote Control for ELT, SATCOM, and ADS-B Distress Tracking Systems
- Toby Eng Recognized as Top National Wealth Management Advisor by Northwestern Mutual
"I'm grateful to Mayor Lightfoot for joining us today to discuss the importance of the Chicago Football Classic," said Chicago Football Classic Co-founder, Larry Huggins. "From the scholarships to the college and career fair, the financial literacy summit, health and wellness summit, and of course the game, this year's Chicago Football Classic is providing tools and resources to help youth get a great start on their future."
Another added component to this year's activities will be a Teen Summit to address health and wellness from 9:00 to 11:30 a.m. This summit will include a panel discussion with students and alumni from both Hampton and Howard Universities, sharing tips and ways to navigate life away, manage stress, and maintain a healthy and balanced collegiate lifestyle.
"The Chicago Football Classic is a time-honored tradition that celebrates excellence in sportsmanship and academics as students get a glimpse of college life and exposure to diverse postsecondary options," said Chicago Public Schools CEO Dr. Janice K. Jackson. "I'm thankful that so many partners come together to show our young people that sports and academics go hand-in-hand by helping students understand the diverse pathways and support available to help them reach their goals."
More on illi News
- IFTNEXT Food Disruption Challenge Now Accepting Applications
- Students Rising Above Welcomes Elizabeth Jordan Devaney as Chief Executive Officer
- Laying Foundations for Future Growth
- Regent Surgical Health Expands Business Development Team
- FIX Music Rewards Launches Next Generation Artist Tools
Last year, more than $1.5 million was awarded in scholarships to Chicago-area students that attended the college fair, where more than 30 historically black colleges and universities from across the country, City Colleges of Chicago and Chicago State University participated.
"This is more than just a game. This three-day event brings awareness to HBCUs, exposes Chicago students to various aspects of the college experience and focuses on an uplifting theme that unites the community," said Chicago Football Classic Co-founder, Everett Rand. "We appreciate our ongoing partnership with the City of Chicago, and we look forward to exposing our youth to these educational opportunities that will help them become viable community leaders."
Mayor Lightfoot is committed to investing in youth and encouraging them to explore potential college or career paths available to them after high school. The City is actively working to build new opportunities for the City's youth to engage in career experiences while they are still in school to help students determine the best, next steps for their future. Working with the City's corporate, philanthropic and education partners, the administration will expand meaningful educational opportunities across Chicago's evolving industries and create new pathways to economic stability for all Chicagoans.
Latest on illi News
- The Lashe® Announces New Professional Pricing for Lash Aftercare Products
- CDI Global raises capital for Australian Pharmacy Software Giant
- Mayor Lightfoot Announces Gia Biagi to Serve as Commissioner for the Chicago Department of Transportation
- Santia Deck Makes History; Signs Record Breaking Deal With Highly-Anticipated WFLA
- Dbvisit Announces Release of Dbvisit Standby Snapshot
- Apollo Brands® Announces Exclusive Distribution Agreement Bringing Apollo Energy Gum® and Golf Gum® to The Nordic Countries
- Sandline Discovery Leverages NexLP's Cognitive AI to Deliver Leading Behavioral and Linguistic Intelligence
- ACEINNA Launches New Current Sensing Article for Embedded Power Systems
- Upcycle Pop returns with its Sustainable Holiday Event. Art Exhibits, Performances and a Fashion Show
- Royal Portrush, Omni Barton Creek, Golf Rivals, Adidas, and Great Waters announced as winners of Golf Aficionado Magazine Best of 2019 Awards
- Aginity Achieves Select Technology Partner Status in the Amazon Web Services Partner Network
- MSJ Local: Rockford Area Music Makers 5 Released Early
- WebSatchel makes mobile breakthrough
- NASA Awards PADT, Arizona State University and Kennesaw State University a $755,000 Phase II STTR Research Grant
- Gatski Commercial Names David Bauman managing director of property management
- Northwestern Mutual – Chicago Named Top Workplace for the Fourth Consecutive Year
- Top Driver Delivers Thousands of Memorial Wreaths
- Beloved Sesame Street Icon Brings Awareness to Little-Known Brain Disorder
- MC Companies Announced As 2020 Top Company To Work Multifamily
- Outstanding Holiday Appetizer and Adult Beverage Pairings II