"This new class of recruits represent men and women from every part of our city, reflecting the values all our neighborhoods and communities share," said Mayor Lightfoot. "Our first responders deserve not only our admiration, but they also need our commitment to the finest training, best supervision and wellness support to address the trauma they confront daily."
The Police Department is not only growing in total size but is also more diverse today than ever before. CPD has the most diverse leadership in the Department's history, and this new class builds on the progress that has been made, as the 35 new recruits include 66% from minority backgrounds, with 46% identifying as Hispanic, 11% African-American and 9% Asian-American. In addition, 20% of the recruits are female. Approximately 20% are also military veterans.
More on illi News
- IAOP and HCL Announce Winners of the Red Ladder Women in Outsourcing Awards
- Axiros Solution Enables Electronic Frontier UK to Manage Multiple Client Devices and CPE in the Telco/ISP Market
- Air Duct Cleaning NJ - Why Should I Clean my Home Air Ducts?
- GO Group Shares Top New Travel Items
- Straighten Your Smile at Home with Sensational Smiles
"These new recruits bring with them new ideas as well as an enthusiasm for making Chicago a safer place to live, work and play," said Superintendent Eddie T. Johnson. "I look forward to seeing how these men and women put their training to use. I expect our city will benefit for many years to come from the actions of these ambitious newcomers."
During six months of training at Training Academy, recruits learn all applicable laws and protocols for being a Chicago Police Officer. In addition to physical training, they receive instruction in procedural justice, mental health awareness, crisis intervention and de-escalation, use of force, community building and critical thinking.
"Being a police officer is more than a career, it is a calling," said Alderman Taliaferro, chair of the Committee on Public Safety. "There is no higher calling than restoring safety and peace in our neighborhoods and our officers are indispensable to that effort."
The first three months of their new career in law enforcement will begin under the tutelage of a Field Training Officer. These specially-trained officers share their experiences with the new graduates, walking them through everything from filling out paperwork to apprehending an offender.
After graduation, they will have access to new tools, technology and resources to partner with the community and fight violent crime. In each of the districts, new station-based strategic nerve centers, mobile technology and crime cameras are deployed to assist in district-level crime strategies and investigations.
Latest on illi News
- American Photographic Artists Opens Exhibit on January 24th
- Whale Watch Alaska Makes a Splash with TRYTN Partnership
- AutoQuotes Appoints New Chief Product Officer
- The Legacy of Jack LaLanne, The Godfather of Fitness, Introduced to a New Generation
- Tensiometer Market Worth $151 Million by 2024 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™
- Viscosity North America Welcomes Two More From the Oracle ACE Program: Gary Gordhamer & Sean Scott
- Trondent Launches Another Travel Industry First: Pre-Trip Authorization with Artificial Intelligence
- ITCC: Be an IT Certification Innovator
- Vulcan Boot Camp Receives 2019 Savannah Award
- Golf Gum® and the Liquid Core® Delivery System, Capable of Fueling Better Scores, Announce Debut of SPACE STATION® Distribution Device at PGA Show
- MobilDrTech, Inc. enhances their medical product line with Acumentrics' Pack-Power™ System
- W.J. Castle, P.E. & Assoc., P.C. (CASTLE) has been honored by New Jersey Alliance for Action as a 2019 Distinguished Engineering Award Recipient
- Broccoli City Reveals 2020 Festival Lineup And Announces Its Return To The Nation's Capital For Eighth Annual Celebration Of Music, Art And Culture
- Vail Stables Now Rides with TRYTN
- Mind Gear Studios Founder starts new company Shrimpboot Games
- Forum on Film Finance, Production & Distribution to be Held on Sunday, February 9th in Los Angeles
- MC Companies Wins 'Rookie Fundraiser Team of the Year' by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation For National Sponsorship Impact
- Nude Envie's New Cheek Collection
- Rented.com and MyVR Announce Revenue Management Partnership
- Electri-Flex Company Promotions: National Sales Manager, Distribution Manager, Mgr Strategic Accts