"The City of Chicago is committed to presenting cultural programs that reflect the vibrant diversity of Chicago, including Chicago's Latinx communities," said Mayor Lightfoot. "This series of free events represents a new, critically important effort to showcase Latinx artists on our stages, in our galleries, and around the city."
"Our renewed focus on Latino programming is re-energizing Maxwell Street Market, strengthening our Chicago SummerDance series and bringing new audiences to Taste of Chicago and Millennium Park – Chicago's town square," said DCASE Commissioner Mark Kelly. "Our Latino audiences are growing, thanks to world-class programming and collaborations with the Chicago Park District and our cultural partners."
The following event highlights are free and open to the public:
- Millennium Park Summer Film Series – presenting Frida (with Spanish subtitles, in collaboration with Teatro Vista) on June 11 and Pan's Labyrinth (in Spanish, with Aguijón Theater) on July 16 as part of the 2019 Year of Chicago Theatre. MillenniumPark.org Millennium Park Summer Music Series – presenting Liniker e os Caramelows (Brazil) on June 17, Chucho Valdés–Jazz Batá (Cuba) on June 24, the 5th Annual Chicago Mariachi Festival (Mexico) in collaboration with the Mariachi Heritage Foundation on June 30, the 2nd Annual Mexican Indigenous Music Festival in collaboration with the Old Town School of Folk Music on July 21, Los Amigos Invisibles (Venezuela) on July 25, and México en el Corazón in collaboration with the North American Institute for Mexican Advancement on August 27. MillenniumPark.org Millennium Park Theatre Series – featuring Aguijón Theater and eight other local companies, performing July through October as part of the 2019 Year of Chicago Theatre. Details to come. Presented with support from Rick Bayless through Frontera Grill and the Bayless Family Foundation. MillenniumPark.org Grant Park Music Festival – presenting Mambo Kings and the Grant Park Orchestra on August 7 at Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park as part of its 85th season. Grant Park Music Festival is presented with support from DCASE and the Chicago Park District. GPMF.org Taste of Chicago – presenting a double bill of Bomba Estéreo (Columbia) and Cultura Profética (Puerto Rico) on July 11 in Grant Park. TasteofChicago.us Chicago SummerDance – showcasing dozens of Latino artists and dance styles including Salsa, Samba, Cha-cha, Cumbia, Tango, Mambo, Bomba, Bachata and more – in Grant Park, Millennium Park and neighborhood parks throughout the city, June 26 through August 24. ChicagoSummerDance.org World Music Festival Chicago – presenting, for the first time, ¡Súbelo! (turn it up) – a Latino music celebration on September 14 at Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park with Centavrvs (Mexico), Los Wemblers (Peru) and Pirulo y su Tribu (Puerto Rico). The citywide, multi-venue festival (September 13–29) will additionally include dozens of Latino artists from across the globe. WorldMusicFestivalChicago.org Maxwell Street Market – offering an eclectic mix of merchandise and some of the best Mexican and Latino street food in Chicago on Sundays, 9am–3pm. Don't miss artmaking with the National Museum of Mexican Art and Yollocalli Arts Reach on June 23 and other select dates through November 3 – and The Big Deal celebration on August 4. MaxwellStreetMarket.us
More on illi News
- NS4ed Partners with New Mexico to Maximize the Perkins V's Comprehensive Local Needs Assessment (CLNA)
- Feeding America® and Team Rubicon Partner to Provide Food to Communities Facing Hunger During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Over 400 CEOs Have Benefited from CEO Coaching International's Free Coaching Call Offer
- Certified Nutraceuticals , Inc is proud to partner with Princeton Consumer Research for a Randomized, Single-Blinded, Placebo-Controlled Study
- All Premium CBD Enters the Pain Relief Arena with CBDMEDIC Partnership
"We're proud to be partnering with Mayor Lightfoot and DCASE to showcase the beauty and richness of Latino art and culture right here in Chicago," said Carlos Tortolero, President of the National Museum of Mexican Art. "We invite the community to bring the family to enjoy these free summer and fall events."
For event details, visit chicago.gov/dcase and join the conversation on Facebook at 'Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events' and follow us on Twitter and Instagram @ChicagoDCASE.
Additionally, with funding from DCASE as part of the 2019 Year of Chicago Theatre, the public is invited to enjoy the following ticketed event.
- Chicago Latino Theater Alliance's (CLATA) 3rd Annual DESTINOS, the Chicago International Latino Theater Festival – runs September 19 through October 27. With a focus on elevating the voices of Latino artists, CLATA was founded by a group of Latino cultural leaders: Myrna Salazar (Executive Director), Carlos Tortolero (National Museum of Mexican Art), Pepe Vargas (International Latino Cultural Center), and Carlos Hernandez (Puerto Rican Arts Alliance). CLATA.org
Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events
The Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) is dedicated to enriching Chicago's artistic vitality and cultural vibrancy. This includes fostering the development of Chicago's non-profit arts sector, independent working artists and for-profit arts businesses; providing a framework to guide the City's future cultural and economic growth, via the 2012 Chicago Cultural Plan; marketing the City's cultural assets to a worldwide audience; and presenting high-quality, free and affordable cultural programs for residents and visitors.
More on illi News
- Nutraceuticals & Agriceuticals Technology Company, Inc. Files For Patent Protection For Latest Invention Persimonal™ Persimmon Leaf Exctract- Powder
- Virtuoso Guitarist Shares Secrets To Improving Guitar Lick Creativity
- World Humanity Commission Awards Certificate of Appreciation to Kalgidhar Society Baru Sahib for promoting Lessons of Humanity
- edjuster Celebrates Twenty Years of Excellence in Contents Claims Management for Insurers, Adjusters and Policyholders
- European Medical Devices Market Worth $61.4 Billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™
Latest on illi News
- Stratum Nutrition® Welcomes Kyle Haws as Regional Operations Manager
- Dove Bennett Teams up With Local West Covina Residents to Provide Hot Meals During Quarantine
- CarHop Closing Pennsylvania Locations
- Two New Studies Confirm BLIS M18™ Effective Against Black Teeth Staining
- Metavivor To Host Virtual Dance Party Featuring DJ Misbehaviour
- Colorado Functional Chewing Gum Brands Now Available Touch-Free; The New Normal is Helping to Expand a New Category
- New Book Offers Hands-On Guidance to Female Investors at Early Stage of Investing
- Green Energy Exchange Closes Financing with Shell Energy
- NS4ed Designs a Customized Career Readiness Portal for National Rural Education Association
- Lineus Medical Awarded Key Patent
- Northwestern Mutual – Chicago Presents Athletic Leadership Award
- Various Measures Introduced to and Approved by the Chicago City Council
- Compassion Launches Global Initiative to Combat the Havoc Wreaked by COVID-19
- Social Distancing Sensors for the Factory Floor Now Available with App Upgrade from ProGlove
- College Student Launches Affordable Dorm Decor Startup
- Naperville Police Investigate May 19 Vehicle Hijacking
- MBK Senior Living Acquires Kirkwood Orange Assisted Living & Memory Care
- Cura Surgical Launches Silver-Plated Reusable Face Mask
- Michael Brown joins the Qnext Board Advisory Team and Brings Significant Insight on Applying Cybersecurity & Zero Trust Remote Access to Public Sector
- Symplast Partners with ChangeWell Training Academy to Present Three-Course Webinar Series Focused on Mastering Video Post-COVID