To address the City's growing cost of debt and other liabilities, the FY 2020 budget proposal, presented later this week, will prioritize sustainable solutions for the long-term. Importantly, the budget will not include any of the following one-time solutions: borrowing for settlements and judgments, scoop and toss restructuring, a significant draw down of reserves, or pension obligation bonds.
"Since my first day in office I have made responsible stewardship of taxpayer dollars a priority in every financial and budgetary action we have taken," said Mayor Lightfoot. "Today's announcement represents the latest step in creating millions of dollars in smart savings for Chicago's residents, allowing us to strengthen our financial footing and better focus on delivering the investments and services that will allow our city to grow and thrive."
More on illi News
- Chicago: Recovery Task Force Releases Advisory Report to Guide City's Planning Efforts to Recover from Covid-19
- Travel + Leisure Readers give San Miguel De Allende a reason to Celebrate as it ranks in World's Best Awards
- MULTI-FUN project aims to enable multi-materials metal additive manufacturing for complex 3D parts without size constraints
- Sage Intacct Names Alta Vista Technology a Premier Partner
- Axiros AXESS ACS Enables UK ISP, Origin Broadband, With TR-069 Device Management Solution
Much like a homeowner refinancing a mortgage, the City's refinancing will issue new bonds at lower interest rates to replace higher interest bonds that are currently outstanding in order to achieve cost savings.
"These savings are a result of the City's proactive efforts to take advantage of a low interest rate environment, as well as the approach by Mayor Lightfoot's administration to create a financial plan that is reform-based, fiscally responsible and long-term sustainable," said Jennie Huang Bennett, Chief Financial Officer. "Instead of looking to one-time measures of the past, we are focused on prudent measures for addressing outstanding debt that will achieve significant near-term savings to the taxpayer without sacrificing the long-term financial health of the City."
The refinancing is pending approval by the City Council. The City and STSC anticipate issuing bonds as early as December 2019. Importantly, the minority underwriter representation on the transaction is targeted to be over 50% which is a significant increase from previous transactions.
More on illi News
- Newest Analysis from ImmersivEdge Advisors Helps Investors Make the Right Moves in the Dynamic AR & Smartglasses Industry
- Police Arrest Naperville Man for Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse
- Wheaton Family Law Attorney - Tania K. Harvey Launches New Website | Wheaton IL Family Lawyers
- Americart 2019 Documentary Film about Art in America's Heartland now available on Amazon Prime Video
- Seismic Shift from New York to the Palm Beaches Signals Permanent Residency, Not Seasonal Vacation Homes
Today's announcement represents further progress the City has made toward finding savings and efficiencies to address the financial challenges in the 2020 budget while also continuing to provide essential services to the neighborhoods. Other steps being taken by the City to reduce operational costs include improved revenue collection procedures which saves $25 million and the termination of $1.4 billion of costly and unused lines of credit which saved $22 million. The City's 2020 Budget will be presented by Mayor Lightfoot during the annual budget address, scheduled on October 23.
Latest on illi News
- Intermountain Healthcare Implements DeepThink Health's Precision Intelligence Solutions to Manage its Molecular Tumor Board
- "Blades Direct Reviews" Announces SHOXX and Samedia Products: BX13, Master MST, GX20 and BFM an
- Cure SMA Urges Remaining States to Expedite Adoption of Newborn Screening for Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Twista's GMG Artist B-Hype Drops Video For It's My Life
- Janet Hayes named new CEO of Crate and Barrel Holdings, Inc.
- Could this be the next Nike? Dionies Sportswear Looks to Crowdfunding for an Impressive Kickstart
- PowerOptions Expands Partnership with Solect Energy Through Large-Scale Solar and Storage Program
- Bay Area Health Provider Partners with Medicom Health to Lower Medication Cost for Patients
- Products On The Go is creating the most natural and nourishing products in the country
- Mahmood Khan and Willoughby Symphony crack the Billboard Charts
- NACCE Announces Multi-Year Partnership with the Philip E. and Carole R. Ratcliffe Foundation
- Pandemics and Forecasting: Seeing the Way Forward via the Taleb/Ioannidis Debate
- IPD announces special partnership with Maxiforce to expand product reach for its customers
- Spin: Crowdfunding for the Greater Good
- Overcoming Covid-19 Challenges: Alexander James Rodriguez Releases 'My Crew'
- Anritsu Partners with COMINT Consulting to Add Signals Intelligence Capability to Field Master Pro™ MS2090A RTSA
- Syncro's Next-Gen MSP Platform Sees Massive Growth in 2020
- New event series pays tribute to black children killed by violence in Chicago
- Mayor Lightfoot Launches Signature Chicago Utility Billing Relief Program
- Extra/Ordinary Small Business Podcast Season 2 Launches with All-Star Lineup