To address the City's growing cost of debt and other liabilities, the FY 2020 budget proposal, presented later this week, will prioritize sustainable solutions for the long-term. Importantly, the budget will not include any of the following one-time solutions: borrowing for settlements and judgments, scoop and toss restructuring, a significant draw down of reserves, or pension obligation bonds.
"Since my first day in office I have made responsible stewardship of taxpayer dollars a priority in every financial and budgetary action we have taken," said Mayor Lightfoot. "Today's announcement represents the latest step in creating millions of dollars in smart savings for Chicago's residents, allowing us to strengthen our financial footing and better focus on delivering the investments and services that will allow our city to grow and thrive."
More on illi News
- Research On Mobile Revenue Up 200% Yoy
- Changing Faces: America Nods to a Popular Protein
- Ulta Beauty Announces Earnings Release Date, Conference Call and Webcast for Third Quarter 2019 Results
- Naperville: City Introduces New Online Speaker Registration Form for City Council Meetings
- One Park Financial Again Recognized as One of the "Best Entrepreneurial Companies in America" Named to the 2019 Entrepreneur360 List by Entrepreneur
Much like a homeowner refinancing a mortgage, the City's refinancing will issue new bonds at lower interest rates to replace higher interest bonds that are currently outstanding in order to achieve cost savings.
"These savings are a result of the City's proactive efforts to take advantage of a low interest rate environment, as well as the approach by Mayor Lightfoot's administration to create a financial plan that is reform-based, fiscally responsible and long-term sustainable," said Jennie Huang Bennett, Chief Financial Officer. "Instead of looking to one-time measures of the past, we are focused on prudent measures for addressing outstanding debt that will achieve significant near-term savings to the taxpayer without sacrificing the long-term financial health of the City."
The refinancing is pending approval by the City Council. The City and STSC anticipate issuing bonds as early as December 2019. Importantly, the minority underwriter representation on the transaction is targeted to be over 50% which is a significant increase from previous transactions.
More on illi News
- Mayor Lightfoot and City Health Officials Announce "Cannabis Facts Chicago" Campaign to Provide Precautionary Guidance Ahead of Cannabis Legalization in 2020
- Regent Revenue Cycle Management Announces Executive Promotion
- Restaurant.com Announces Biggest Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals on Largest Selection Ever
- Dakshidin Corporation (DKSC), Announces Hemp Cultivation Joint Venture in Oregon
- Bee Mortgage App Named One of Inaugural Issuers on Fundopolis
Today's announcement represents further progress the City has made toward finding savings and efficiencies to address the financial challenges in the 2020 budget while also continuing to provide essential services to the neighborhoods. Other steps being taken by the City to reduce operational costs include improved revenue collection procedures which saves $25 million and the termination of $1.4 billion of costly and unused lines of credit which saved $22 million. The City's 2020 Budget will be presented by Mayor Lightfoot during the annual budget address, scheduled on October 23.
Latest on illi News
- Regent Surgical Health Announces New Joint Venture Partnership in Alaska
- "Blades Direct Reviews" BladesDirect.net Announces New Shocker RX13 SHOXX Diamond Blade
- GIA Wellness Introduces Two Revolutionary Skin Nourishment Products
- 7pace Releases Timetracker 5 with new Dashboards for Azure DevOps
- DeRonja Real Estate Hires Bradley Congleton
- Baxter Declares Quarterly Dividend
- HoloBuilder Announces Partnership with Boston Dynamics
- Liberty Advisor Group Employees Volunteer with Shirley Ryan AbilityLab
- CourMed Partners with Expert Logistics Firm To Scale The Delivery of Healthcare Items Nationwide
- Scott Cooper Miami Announces Scholarship Winners
- Naperville: Law Enforcement Accreditation Assessment Team Invites Public Comment
- The Chatman Women's Foundation Gives Financial Support to Local Women
- Fujisan Mishima Tokyu Hotel to Open by Mt. Fuji in June 2020 ... Reservations Being Accepted from December 3, 2019!
- Mayor Lightfoot and World Business Chicago Announce Local Tech Companies Adding Over 2,000 Jobs in Chicago
- Newest Digital Media Solutions Office Named Top Workplace In San Diego
- Serpmart Digital Marketing, Wholesale Web Design and Digital Marketing Services For Businesses That Want Growth
- Hurdle Realty Celebrates Half a Century of Bringing Home the American Dream
- Singapore FinTech Festival 2019 Reinvents IT industry
- Amerigo Announces partnership with St. Patrick-St. Vincent Catholic High School
- PearlFection Dentistry invests in state of the art Cone Beam CT scanner (3D imaging), Panoramic X-ray System, and Cephalometric X-ray system