These meetings build on continued engagement the City has undertaken to ensure community perspectives are considered as new cannabis regulations are developed. Earlier this year, the City partnered with aldermen and zoning administrators to gain input on zoning regulations, which have been approved by City Council. Approvals on zoning for new cannabis dispensaries and businesses will be taken up only after community meetings are held, starting in 2020.
"From righting the generation-old wrongs of our past to building equitable opportunities for our residents, the legalization of cannabis in Illinois represents nothing short of a historic, transformative moment for all communities in our state," said Mayor Lightfoot. "Transparency and inclusion have been at the heart of our efforts since day one, and these additional community meetings serve an important role in ensuring Chicago's residents continue to have a voice in shaping smart and effective cannabis regulations to guide implementation next year."
More on illi News
- Sprawling New Novel, WE OF THE FORSAKEN WORLD, Tackles Themes of Global Connection
- QuiAri Promotes Brad Stewart To Director Of Field Development
- Regent Surgical Health Announces Partnership in Tennessee
- Pilot Trading Expands Its Suite of Broker Integrations by going Live with TradeStation
- Right Cars Vehicle Rental announce the appointment of Alison Lee as Customer Service Director
Led by the Mayor's Office, the upcoming community meetings will convene advocacy organizations, public safety officials, medical professionals and local legal aid organizations to lead a dialogue regarding efforts future municipal code changes, enforcement reforms, consumption licensing, expungement, and public health education implemented by the City to ensure safe and responsible sales and use of cannabis in Chicago.
Each meeting will begin at 6:00 p.m. and take place at the following locations on the South and West Sides of the city:
- Thursday, Dec. 5 – Malcolm X College, 1900 W. Jackson Blvd. Friday, Dec. 6 – Chicago State University, Breakey Theatre, 9501 S. King Dr.
Representatives from the Mayor's Office, Chicago Police Department (CPD), Chicago Department of Public Health and local legal aid organizations will conduct presentations on the City's latest rules and regulations passed at City Council this fall, including CPD's reformed enforcement policies to reduce fines and decriminalize unlawful consumption or possession of cannabis. Additionally, the City will seek public input from residents on additional factors regarding the upcoming legalization, including onsite cannabis consumption licensing, and ways to further social equity and opportunities for small, local businesses as new policies are created.
More on illi News
- The Azores - the world's first certified archipelago
- SOS International Meditation Center in Lisle Featured on Cover of "Metal Architecture"
- Chicago: Statement from Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot and Interim Superintendent Charlie Beck
- GBC aba announces the opening of the only alternative preschool for children with autism in Peoria
- CopyLady Earns ENX Magazine Elite Dealer of the Year Award
Following the presentations, community members will have an opportunity to provide public comment and submit questions. Each meeting will also be live-streamed on Twitter and Facebook @ChicagosMayor to ensure members of the community who are not able to make it to the meetings are able to watch and listen in real-time.
The Mayor's Office continues to work with community advocates, business leaders, policy experts and cannabis professionals to ensure residents understand the impacts of recreational cannabis ahead of its legalization. Residents are encouraged to visit https://www.chicago.gov/cannabisfactschi to learn more about safe and responsible use of cannabis.
Latest on illi News
- The Rotary Santa Run Presents 12 Christmas Traditions Your Kids Will Never Forget
- Allstate Announces Preferred Stock Dividends
- National Survey Reveals CIOs Must Prioritize Revenue Generating Initiatives, Leadership and Mentorship to Gain Competitive Edge
- Voter Beware: Could Your Favorite Presidential Candidate's Policies Wreck the U.S. Economy?
- JustCall Ranked 5th Fastest-Growing Technology Company in Deloitte Technology Fast 50 India 2019
- Durante Rentals Appoints Baron Selman as Sales Manager
- Bid Ops Announces Waitlist for Free Sourcing Enablement Platform
- Household Appliance Repairs In Edmonton
- AVANTE started to assist New Jersey hotels to meet the nation's first State law to require panic buttons for hotel workers
- Prakas & Co is now handling the exclusive leasing for Brickell Bay Boardwalk
- Chicago: Statement from Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot on Eddie Johnson
- NOUS Imaging Announces $6.6 Million in Funding for Brain MRI Software Solution
- Green Energy Exchange Partners with SmartGridCIS to Help Texas Consumers Save Green by Going Green
- Action for Healthy Kids Teams Up with Peloton to Celebrate the Power of Joy and Movement this Holiday Season with "Move for More" Classes
- Macadamian Boosts Digital Health Capabilities, Launches New HealthConnect Platform as a Service on Microsoft Azure
- Release Date Set for Next Book on Rockford Area Music Makers
- Statesville NC "Cash for Houses" Company Announces Expansion Into Hickory NC
- "Stolen Seasons," A New Expose About Mormon Church Now Available
- New data analytics major at Thiel College to open doors for students into growing field