"When we unite the strengths of our neighborhood libraries with great housing that is affordable and accessible, it is truly the best of both worlds," said Mayor Emanuel. "Chicago is reimaging and redefining what world-class housing and libraries can look like, and staying at the cutting edge of creating shared spaces that bring communities together."
"This is an important day for West Ridge as we stand together to mark the completion of a development that will serve as a gateway to our community," said Alderman Debra L. Silverstein, 50th Ward. "I know that the new residents of this building join the library patrons in welcoming this important neighborhood anchor that has transformed this corner into a vibrant place to live and gather."
More on illi News
- Mayor Lightfoot and CDPH Announce $56m RFP To Bolster Contact Tracing Efforts for Covid-19 Cases in Chicago
- City of Chicago Announces Grant Funding to Support Additional Efforts to Address City's Historically Regressive Fines and Fees System
- MegaFans and Black Dog Gaming Launch Charity eSports Tournament for USO West
- Lantek launches version 2020 with focus on remote working and process efficiency
- Palomar Display Products, Inc. awarded a $3.5M order for gunner displays
"Our goal is to expand affordable housing opportunities across Chicago while also delivering community assets that can benefit all residents," said CHA CEO Eugene Jones, Jr. "With the opening of Northtown Apartments, we are providing a community anchor that combines new housing options and a library that will serve residents of all ages from West Ridge."
Developed by Evergreen Real Estate Group and designed by Perkins+Will, Northtown Apartments offers 44 apartments for seniors aged 62 and older with 30 units for renters from the CHA waiting list and 14 affordable units. The apartment building also offers residents a fitness center, laundry room and outdoor space. Residents will also have access to the library community room to use for meetings or other resident activities.
"Northtown Apartments demonstrates the strength of innovative public-private partnerships that provide much-needed affordable housing for seniors," said David Block, director of development for Evergreen Real Estate Group. "We're proud to have played a role in bringing to the West Ridge neighborhood a modern library offering wide-ranging social and educational opportunities for residents of all ages, including seniors living in the Northtown Apartments."
More on illi News
- Jet Medical Tourism® Cites Report Saying Bariatric Surgery Works, But Millions of Eligible Patients in The Heaviest American States Cannot Get It
- Walzik Announces Automated Interface Between Dynamics GP and Strategic Movements
- NS4ed Partners with New Mexico to Maximize the Perkins V's Comprehensive Local Needs Assessment (CLNA)
- Feeding America® and Team Rubicon Partner to Provide Food to Communities Facing Hunger During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Over 400 CEOs Have Benefited from CEO Coaching International's Free Coaching Call Offer
Northtown Apartments and Northtown Branch Library was built with funding from CHA, the City of Chicago Department of Planning and Development, the Illinois Housing Development Authority and private lenders including TCF Bank, 5/3 Fifth Third Bank, CIBC, CREA, Clocktower Tax Credits and ComEd Energy Efficiency Program.
The project is one of three CHA/CPL developments, which resulted from a design competition that inspired some of the city's top architects to bring world-class design to the neighborhoods.
The other two co-located CHA/CPL developments are Taylor Street Apartments and Little Italy Branch Library in the Little Italy community and Independence Apartments and Branch Library in the Irving Park community. All three branch libraries opened in early 2019. Residents have begun moving into Taylor Street Apartments, which offers 73 family apartments. The 44 new apartments units at Independence Apartments will open over the summer.
Latest on illi News
- Glass Mosaic Artist Allison Eden Studios Pivots Into Fashion With Face Mask Line
- MR.LEATHER64TEN 2020 Contest Winner Announcement
- Learning How to Shift Your Thinking is the Best Way to Protect Your Mental Health During This Pandemic
- Restech is proud to announce the launch of PepsinCheck, a PEPTEST product branded for the U.S. consumer market
- Mark Andeer Joins Rawcubes as Head of Sales and Marketing
- For the first time ever, an endangered leatherback sea turtle is being tracked after nesting on the Gulf Coast of Florida
- Amazing New Kids' Show Born of COVID - Full of Laughter and Surprising Depth
- Stratum Nutrition® Welcomes Kyle Haws as Regional Operations Manager
- Dove Bennett Teams up With Local West Covina Residents to Provide Hot Meals During Quarantine
- CarHop Closing Pennsylvania Locations
- Two New Studies Confirm BLIS M18™ Effective Against Black Teeth Staining
- Metavivor To Host Virtual Dance Party Featuring DJ Misbehaviour
- Colorado Functional Chewing Gum Brands Now Available Touch-Free; The New Normal is Helping to Expand a New Category
- New Book Offers Hands-On Guidance to Female Investors at Early Stage of Investing
- Green Energy Exchange Closes Financing with Shell Energy
- NS4ed Designs a Customized Career Readiness Portal for National Rural Education Association
- Lineus Medical Awarded Key Patent
- Northwestern Mutual – Chicago Presents Athletic Leadership Award
- Various Measures Introduced to and Approved by the Chicago City Council
- Compassion Launches Global Initiative to Combat the Havoc Wreaked by COVID-19