"When we unite the strengths of our neighborhood libraries with great housing that is affordable and accessible, it is truly the best of both worlds," said Mayor Emanuel. "Chicago is reimaging and redefining what world-class housing and libraries can look like, and staying at the cutting edge of creating shared spaces that bring communities together."
"This is an important day for West Ridge as we stand together to mark the completion of a development that will serve as a gateway to our community," said Alderman Debra L. Silverstein, 50th Ward. "I know that the new residents of this building join the library patrons in welcoming this important neighborhood anchor that has transformed this corner into a vibrant place to live and gather."
More on illi News
- Perceptum Launches Upgraded Website and New Services Offerings for 21st Century Professionals
- Unity of Chicago South Hosts 'Mind, Body & Soul Expo: A Spiritual Experience'
- Single Black Female at eta Theatre
- Legendary Broadcaster Bill Kurtis Interviews Mayor Rahm Emanuel on the Final Episode of "Chicago Stories" Podcast
- Acumentrics, Inc. to Demonstrate Autonomous Power for Critical Missions During SOFIC 2019
"Our goal is to expand affordable housing opportunities across Chicago while also delivering community assets that can benefit all residents," said CHA CEO Eugene Jones, Jr. "With the opening of Northtown Apartments, we are providing a community anchor that combines new housing options and a library that will serve residents of all ages from West Ridge."
Developed by Evergreen Real Estate Group and designed by Perkins+Will, Northtown Apartments offers 44 apartments for seniors aged 62 and older with 30 units for renters from the CHA waiting list and 14 affordable units. The apartment building also offers residents a fitness center, laundry room and outdoor space. Residents will also have access to the library community room to use for meetings or other resident activities.
"Northtown Apartments demonstrates the strength of innovative public-private partnerships that provide much-needed affordable housing for seniors," said David Block, director of development for Evergreen Real Estate Group. "We're proud to have played a role in bringing to the West Ridge neighborhood a modern library offering wide-ranging social and educational opportunities for residents of all ages, including seniors living in the Northtown Apartments."
More on illi News
- World Series Of Fighting Launches Its Grappling Division With "Submission 1" In Las Vegas
- PHCPPros Principals Pass 5-Year Leadership Mark
- RTM Engineering Consultants Announces New Acquisition
- Metric Office Furniture Continues Business Growth
- Naperville: Statement on the DuPage Children's Museum Working Group Decision
Northtown Apartments and Northtown Branch Library was built with funding from CHA, the City of Chicago Department of Planning and Development, the Illinois Housing Development Authority and private lenders including TCF Bank, 5/3 Fifth Third Bank, CIBC, CREA, Clocktower Tax Credits and ComEd Energy Efficiency Program.
The project is one of three CHA/CPL developments, which resulted from a design competition that inspired some of the city's top architects to bring world-class design to the neighborhoods.
The other two co-located CHA/CPL developments are Taylor Street Apartments and Little Italy Branch Library in the Little Italy community and Independence Apartments and Branch Library in the Irving Park community. All three branch libraries opened in early 2019. Residents have begun moving into Taylor Street Apartments, which offers 73 family apartments. The 44 new apartments units at Independence Apartments will open over the summer.
Latest on illi News
- Golf Gum™ Combines the Cognitive Benefits of Chewing Gum with the Physical Benefits of Caffeine – an Energy Breakthrough Backed by Science
- Get Matched and #StayAwesome with Oh Hay!
- Hundreds to lace up their shoes & stretch their muscles during the 14th annual western walk
- Chicago: Mayor Emanuel Announces Garfield Green Has Won C40 Reinventing Cities Competition to Combat Climate Change
- Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Keeper Security Announce Plans to Add Over 100 Jobs in Chicago Amid Rapid Growth in B2B
- City of Naperville Honored in Special Ceremony for Earning Coveted Solar Designation
- ONE Brands to Showcase Indulgent Product Roster at Sweets & Snacks Expo
- Florida's Largest Solar Company Advanced Green Technologies Acquires MSC Electric
- East Lake Academy, Chicago's Premiere Private Catholic School, Offers Athletics Opportunities
- Postal Advocate Inc. Hits Over $50 Million In Client Savings!
- Discover grants service provider accreditation to Payhuddle to perform D-PAS Terminal End-to-End Certifications
- GIIB Music Group and Hip Hop Artist CREMSON Proudly Present his Debut Hit Single "SAYING NOTHING"
- Michael Dunbar Selected For 2019 International Sculpture Exhibition In Zhengzhou, China
- Software Leader Axiros Reports Strong Interest In Connect America Fund Test Program
- Chicago: More CPS Students Earn A Full Semester of College Credits Through CCC Than Ever Before
- Allison Eden Studios announces fashion brand inspired by mosaic artwork for interior design with launch party at Bloomingdale's Thurs. 5/16
- Sun Acquisitions welcomes Mike Vaughn as a Senior Advisor
- Mayor Emanuel Joins Chicago Public Schools and Ingenuity Announce $1.5 Million in Grants and Celebrate Progress in Arts Education
- Colbert Packaging Plants Trees with Elementary Students
- MVP Advisory Group Announces Partnership with DynaQuest Technology Services, Inc