"Since day one, we have worked hand-in-hand with city and state officials, community advocates, and industry partners to build a framework that ensures cannabis legalization uplifts the economic life of all our neighborhoods and residents, particularly those in our black and brown communities who have borne the brunt of the war on drugs," said Mayor Lightfoot. "With our first-of-its-kind resource fair, we're teaming up with experts representing all angles of this new industry to empower our residents who are either interested in learning more or becoming the next employee, business owner or investor in Chicago's newest industry, with the resources they need to succeed."
The City's Cannabis Resource Fair is open to the public for free and will be hosted at the UIC Forum, located at 725 W. Roosevelt Rd. Residents will have an opportunity to visit informational tables and directly participate in workshops hosted by local dispensary businesses, cannabis advocacy groups and State and County agencies, including Illinois NORML, Cabrini Green Legal Aid, Illinois Equity Staffing and the P.U.R.E. Coalition.
More on illi News
- Mayor Lightfoot, CPS, and CPD Join Students from Across Chicago in a Citywide Call-to-Action to End Youth Involvement in Gun Violence
- Cboe Global Markets to Present at the Credit Suisse 2020 Financial Services Forum on Thursday, February 27
- Google Will Index Sites Linked With No-Follow
- Lab Properties' New Sale-Leaseback Program Provides Cannabis Operators with Working Capital
- Inna Organic Receives Global Recognition as Premium Clean Beauty Brand
"Over the last couple of years, our chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws has worked alongside legislators and advocates to craft a legalization model that would build on-ramps for impacted individuals and communities," said Edie Moore, executive director of Chicago NORML. "From becoming retail shop owners, growers, vendors and ancillary support firms, it's time for Chicago's small and minority-owned businesses to reap the benefits from this new industry."
Throughout the day-long resource fair, the City will host six presentation and panel discussions to provide a wide range of information and direct access to experts from the industry. Panels, held by range of community, industry and state partners, including the State of Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO), will focus on subjects ranging from Know Your Rights and expungement, to license application support and financial assistance.
"With recreational cannabis now legalized in the State of Illinois, we are excited about the opportunity to provide businesses and residents around the state with the assistance and resources they need to bolster the economic impact in their communities," said Michael Negron, Assistant Director at DCEO. "Inclusion in this new industry has been at the heart of the state's efforts from the beginning, and this first-ever City of Chicago cannabis resource fair will serve as a critical network for residents interested in job opportunities, investment pathways, and supports and services for this emerging market."
While panel participants and times will be announced closer to the event, the following panels will be featured:
- Working in the Industry
An overview of the various paths to work in the industry, including available jobs as well as the skills, training and certification necessary. Starting a Business in the Industry
More on illi News
- Mayor Lightfoot Announces Bold, Ambitious Community-Centered Policy Agenda to Lift Chicagoans Out of Poverty and Economic Hardship at the STEP (Solutions Toward Ending Poverty) Summit
- Patton Announces the Industry's Most Flexible High-Density FXS VoIP Gateway
- Neal Gerber Adds Veteran Intellectual Property Partner David A. Wheeler
- New Agent Opens Up National Van Lines Northern California Market
- Jeron's Clinical Education Specialist and Enterprise Solutions at HIMSS20
From dispensary to craft grow to transporter to infuser, find out about the different licenses and what it takes to get started in each area. Expungement
A conversation highlighting the expungement provisions of the state law, including an opportunity for more personalized consultations and how you can erase low-level convictions and arrests for marijuana possession. Cannabis 101 and Know Your Rights
An explanation of all things pertaining to legalization, including the current state of the industry and key provisions of legalization. Contracting Opportunities
From construction to security to HVAC to electricians, there are plenty of contracting opportunities and services within the cannabis industry. This panel will highlight the needs of the cannabis industry and offer contractors a chance to think about how to increase their customer base to the industry. Navigating City Regulations
"With the historic legalization of cannabis in Chicago and across the state, now more than ever are residents ready to join this city's evolving and growing cannabis market," said Shawnee Williams, of Illinois Equity Staffing. "We look forward to meeting residents from across the State to connect, recruit and build their cannabis business into realities."
In addition to asking questions at the panel discussion, staff from City departments will be on-site to answer questions and distribute information to help better inform residents about the City's latest rules and regulations passed at City Council this fall, including dispensary zoning regulations and CPD's reformed enforcement policies.
Residents and businesses interested in attending the City's upcoming Cannabis Resource Fair can register on EventBrite. This event is free to the public. To learn more about the legalization of cannabis in Chicago, residents can also visit Chicago.gov/cannabis.
Latest on illi News
- FuseFX, Award-Winning VFX Provider Expands with New Atlanta Location
- AbbVie Inc. - Rule 2.10 Announcement - Relevant Securities in Issue
- New research shows the majority of business writing isn't successful
- New Viruses Create Urgent Need for Fresh Flight product
- New Version of HLN's Award Winning Open Source Immunization Forecaster Released
- Northern Trust Corporation to Speak at the Credit Suisse Financial Services Forum on February 27th
- SAM9000 AI Project Management App adds Document and Email Management, now available in full release
- Westmount Realty Capital Hires Chicago Industrial Real Estate Expert, Christopher 'Kit' Sultz
- Naperville: Structure Fire in the 800 Block of Proud Clarion Court
- Symplast Welcomes Former AtlasKPI Executive Randy Torban as Head of New Practice Analysis Department
- Keno Kozie Experts to Speak at ILTA's O365 Symposium
- Global Sales Expert and Former Xerox Executive Joins CEO Coaching International
- First Connecticut Office Building Tokenized
- Fire Protection Materials Market Worth $4.0 Billion by 2024 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™
- AAAEA-IL Announces New Executive Board Members For 2020 Term
- Telliant Systems Expands Digital Software Technology Outreach with Sponsorship at The TAG Summit in Atlanta
- Datavalet And Alpine Growth Partners Launch Growth And Acquisition Strategy With New Ceo
- Customer Scout Automotive SEO Receives "Highest Rated" DrivingSales Award
- Rock Guitarist Shares 3 Secrets To Playing Great Guitar Solos
- Insurance Labor Study Uncovers Difficult yet Optimistic Recruitment Environment