"From running into burning buildings to coming to our rescue in a time of need, Chicago's firefighters and paramedics are nothing short of superheroes and they deserve nothing more than state-of-the-art resources and equipment to keep our residents safe," said Mayor Lightfoot. "Today represents more than an investment in public safety infrastructure, but also an investment to stimulate growth and new jobs for our south side communities."
More on illi News
- WebSatchel makes mobile breakthrough
- NASA Awards PADT, Arizona State University and Kennesaw State University a $755,000 Phase II STTR Research Grant
- Gatski Commercial Names David Bauman managing director of property management
- Northwestern Mutual – Chicago Named Top Workplace for the Fourth Consecutive Year
- Top Driver Delivers Thousands of Memorial Wreaths
With sleeping quarters, locker rooms, a workout facility, full-service kitchen with pantry and dining area and a laundry room, the 27,000-square-foot, single-story fire station will be a home-away-from-home for approximately 20 firefighters/EMTs and eight officers. Additionally, the facility will also feature a state-of-the-art emergency communication hub, watchtower, open office spaces and a 4-bay apparatus room with a hose drying tower.
"The West Pullman community and the department members who will staff this house will reap the benefits of a world-class facility", said Fire Commissioner Richard C. Ford II. "This brand-new firehouse will allow the Chicago Fire Department to more efficiently serve the residents, business owners, and visitors of the South and South East sides of Chicago."
Managed by the PBC, the design and construction of the project will be led by the minority-led firm, UJAMAA/Trice Joint Venture. The $30 million project is expected to support 94 full-time jobs, at least half of which are required to be filled by local Chicago residents as part of the City's ongoing effort to build career opportunities for community members of a project's surrounding neighborhood areas, both in the construction trades as well as skilled and unskilled workers.
More on illi News
- Beloved Sesame Street Icon Brings Awareness to Little-Known Brain Disorder
- MC Companies Announced As 2020 Top Company To Work Multifamily
- Outstanding Holiday Appetizer and Adult Beverage Pairings II
- Buyer Beware: Choose GTM Original's Authorized Dealers for Full Service
- DuraFast Label Company Preparing for Demand for Epson's New CW-C6500 8-inch Color Label Printers
"This state-of-the-art fire station will not only represent a community anchor for West Pullman residents, it will ensure Chicago's firefighters are better equipped to serve those who live and work in this neighborhood," said Alderman Carrie Austin. "I look forward to cutting this ribbon and making this vision for our community a reality."
"This modernly designed space will embody the 'spirit of service' of each man and woman who serves as a firefighter or first responder and provide them with the necessary facility to fulfill their mission to promote fire safety, provide emergency care and extinguish fires," said Carina E. Sanchez, Executive Director of the Public Building Commission.
Anticipated to be open by summer 2020, the new fire station will be built on vacant land located at 119th Street and Morgan Street, replacing the existing Engine Company 115 located at 11940 South Peoria Street.
Latest on illi News
- GBC aba announces the opening of the only alternative preschool for children with autism in Peoria
- CopyLady Earns ENX Magazine Elite Dealer of the Year Award
- Auto Driveaway acquires a majority interest in Sparkle Mobile LLC
- Freedom Spreads in South America
- Chief Marketer Names August Jackson to the 2020 List of Top 200 Brand Engagement and Experience Agencies in the U.S.
- Symplast Founder Dr. Kusuma to Present Telehealth Session at the 2019 Florida Plastic Surgery Forum
- FileFlex Enterprise lets SharePoint users easily and securely share files with non-SharePoint users
- Oral Cancer Initiative Announces Free Screening Events in Eight Chicago Suburban Schools in January After Successful Event in Elmhurst in November
- As a Black Man, What Happens in Vegas (at Circus Circus) Stays with Me Forever
- Telecom Service Assurance Market Worth $8.9 Billion by 2024 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™
- Learn. Repeat. Pass. MicroLearning from MicroLector
- Large Independent Multi-Center Clinical Trial with Stratum Nutrition's NEM® Confirms Results in 7 Days
- PRNFamily Funky New Year 2020 at Paisley Park Honoring Prince Music Genius and Philanthropy
- Pacific Produce Looks to Continue Rapid Growth with Transition to Produce Pro Software
- Florida Mediator Matthew Graduates Harvard Law School Negotiation Master Class
- MC Companies Continues to be an Industry Leader by Donating $100,000 to 2019 Autism Speaks Walk in Partnership with SARRC
- How To Get Your Dog Into the Holiday Spirit, from the Rotary Santa Run
- The Rotary Santa Run Presents 12 Christmas Traditions Your Kids Will Never Forget
- Allstate Announces Preferred Stock Dividends
- National Survey Reveals CIOs Must Prioritize Revenue Generating Initiatives, Leadership and Mentorship to Gain Competitive Edge