Biagi was identified as part of a national search based on her deep understanding of transportation challenges related to urban communities, including those in Chicago. Thomas R. Carney has served as Acting Commissioner of CDOT after Rebekah Scheinfeld stepped down in May, and he will transition back into his role as First Deputy of the department.
"Gia's expertise and years of on-the-ground experience make her the ideal choice to lead our ambitious agenda for CDOT through the coming decade," said Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot. "I want to also thank Tom Carney for his dedication and service as Interim Commissioner over these past months. As we move ahead, I look forward to working side-by-side with Gia and the entire team at CDOT as we implement our vision for equitable, comprehensive urban planning and transportation that supports every one of our residents, neighborhoods, and businesses, and helps our entire city thrive."
Biagi joins the department from Studio Gang, a world-renowned architecture and urban design firm headquartered in Chicago. As Principal, she led the urbanism and civic impact practice, which specialized in urban design, planning and strategy on urban planning projects across several cities. Biagi will also draw on her expertise from over a decade in public service, with roles held in planning and as Chief of Staff to the Chief Executive Officer for the Chicago Park District, as well as with the Department of Planning and Development (DPD).
More on illi News
- MobilDrTech, Inc. enhances their medical product line with Acumentrics' Pack-Power™ System
- W.J. Castle, P.E. & Assoc., P.C. (CASTLE) has been honored by New Jersey Alliance for Action as a 2019 Distinguished Engineering Award Recipient
- Broccoli City Reveals 2020 Festival Lineup And Announces Its Return To The Nation's Capital For Eighth Annual Celebration Of Music, Art And Culture
- Vail Stables Now Rides with TRYTN
- Mind Gear Studios Founder starts new company Shrimpboot Games
"The City of Chicago already has a strong reputation for having one of the world's best transportation systems, and I am honored to work alongside Mayor Lightfoot to ensure we provide the same level of accessibility and reliability for every resident in every neighborhood," said Biagi. "I look forward to drawing on my past experiences to lead CDOT in making continued investments that will enhance mobility for all of our communities, while increasing sustainability for the future."
Biagi will be charged with leading and implementing a comprehensive strategy for building modern infrastructure that advances the Mayor's vision for accessible, reliable and affordable transportation systems supporting every community. This includes studying and recommending solutions to address congestion issues facing downtown as well as the neighborhoods; and working with the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) to implement the city's Bus Priority Zone Program which is designed to make bus service faster and more reliable on core routes.
"I am proud that Gia has answered the call to return to public service. It is always rewarding to see the members of our team harness the skills they have cultivated in the studio to effect positive change in the world," said Jeanne Gang, founding principal of Studio Gang. "Gia has been a critical partner in maturing the Studio's unique approach to our urban scale work that emphasizes mutuality and equity. She remains part of the Studio Gang family, and I am confident that she will accomplish great things for our City."
Biagi will work to align CDOT's transportation investments with other planned capital projects in the city, including affordable housing. CDOT's role in broader citywide capital plans will help to support revitalization of priority areas, including the commercial corridors that are the focus of the Mayor's INVEST South/West initiative.
More on illi News
- Forum on Film Finance, Production & Distribution to be Held on Sunday, February 9th in Los Angeles
- MC Companies Wins 'Rookie Fundraiser Team of the Year' by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation For National Sponsorship Impact
- Nude Envie's New Cheek Collection
- Rented.com and MyVR Announce Revenue Management Partnership
- Electri-Flex Company Promotions: National Sales Manager, Distribution Manager, Mgr Strategic Accts
"We are confident Gia Biagi's leadership at CDOT will assist the department in creating a comprehensive transportation network that is accessible and reliable for all residents," said Mary Sue Barrett, President of the Metropolitan Planning Council. "Her extensive background in urban planning and development combined with her intimate understanding of Chicago's transportation landscape will lead to increased mobility in close coordination with city infrastructure and planning."
CDOT is responsible for more than 4,600 miles of streets, 200 bridges and viaducts, 275 miles of on-street bikeways, 300,000 streetlights and 3,000 signalized intersections citywide. The department is currently overseeing several critical infrastructure projects, including the Chicago Smart Lighting Program, the Vision Zero Plan, the citywide Divvy expansion, and other initiatives designed to make Chicago safer and more accessible for pedestrians as well as cyclists.
"Gia Biagi brings a deep understanding of transportation and urban planning that make her uniquely qualified to lead the City's transportation network—the lifeblood of our city," said Joe Schwieterman, Director of the Chaddick Institute & Professor at DePaul University. "The Mayor's choice to lead CDOT is an important one as she makes enhancing access and equity a top priority for her administration and the city."
Biagi attended the University of Michigan for her Bachelor of Arts Degree in English Literature and has a Master's in Urban Planning and Policy from the University of Illinois at Chicago.
Latest on illi News
- Author Sara Gordon Shares Her Heartbreak and Perseverance in Emotional New Memoir 'And They Thought I Had It All'
- Nordic countries have the best passports in the World
- IAOP Announces Intuit to Be Honored at OWS2.0 as Winner of the 2020 Global Excellence in Outsourcing Award
- DMS Announces Seventh Consecutive Ranking On mThink Top CPA Network List
- The Litigation Lawyers At Chand Snider LLP Add Windsor to their Territory
- Chelmsford Aspen Dental Practice Relocates to Enhance Patient Experience
- Brennan Investment Group 2019 Investment Activity and Summary
- The Polyflex and Clicheria Blumenau are joining CSW and MARVACO as new partners in the Global Premedia Network
- Deviant Marketing - Nominated for Social Media Ad of the Year
- Facebook Partners with The Alfred Street Baptist Church Foundation for their 18th Annual HBCU Festival on Saturday, January 25 at the National Harbor
- Thiel College names Anthony Kos, Ph.D. new Business Administration and Accounting Chair
- Audience Serv Indonesia Drives More Direct Bookings In 2020
- San Francisco Opens The First Housing Program For Transgender & Gender Nonconforming Adults
- Diligence Capital Advisors Arranges Acquisition to Construction Loan for 37 Unit, Mixed-Use Project in South Kensington
- Awesome Family Spring Break Destinations
- Rape Victim Strikes Back At Janitorial Industry Giant
- Illinois American Water Provides Cold Weather Tips to Prevent Frozen Pipes and Water Meters
- Science of Spirituality Center in Rionegro, Colombia, is Inaugurated
- Do You Need Some Downtime? You'll Get Some Starting This Monday!
- Great Gulf Features Holistic Beauty Expert Tammy Fender Services at La Clara Luxury Residences