"Career Launch Chicago will bring together CPS, CCC and some of our city's leading businesses and institutions to build a more equitable and dynamic economy by creating apprenticeships, which will allow our young people to take college courses in high school, continue to earn a record-level of college credentials, and get paid to build experience in a field their passionate about," said Mayor Lightfoot. "To prepare our students for the jobs of today and tomorrow, I challenge businesses in every industry to participate in programs like this one and build an unparalleled talent pipeline."
Starting in 2020, Career Launch Chicago will recruit students for a pilot cohort of 50 apprentices, with a goal of growing the initiative to 1,000 apprentices by 2024. Career Launch Chicago has several partners already committed to building the model, including the following high schools, colleges and industry leaders:
- Austin College and Career Academy Bowen High School Charles Allen Prosser Career Academy Chicago Vocational Career Academy Englewood STEM High School Eric Solorio Academy High School Gage Park High School George Westinghouse College Prep Lake View High School Michele Clark Academic Prep Magnet High School North-Grand High School Richard T Crane Medical Preparatory High School Roger C Sullivan High School Theodore Roosevelt High School Richard J. Daley College Malcolm X College Wilbur Wright College Harold Washington College Chicago Apprentice Network Fifth Third Bank CISCO MxD Rush University Medical Center Lurie Children's Hospital Sinai Health System
More on illi News
- SAP executive joins CXO Nexus as President and COO
- Inland Bank and Trust Announces Opening of 12th Chicagoland Branch Location in Wheeling
- New 2020 Emsculpt Breakthrough Dual-Treatment Technology and "Miracle Laser" of the Cosmetic Industry Now at Perfect Body Laser on Long Island, NY
- Zip Refund Celebrates A Decade of Service For Independent Tax Preparers
- National Safety Council Estimates 417 People May be Killed on U.S. Roads this Thanksgiving Holiday
"Career Launch Chicago is a natural extension of Fifth Third Bank's commitment to build financial stability in the communities we serve. While formal education is vitally important for young people to successfully participate in the 21st century economy, experiential learning like what Career Launch Chicago is providing is so important. We appreciate that the high quality, work-based learning opportunities the young people will experience through this program will help prepare them for the jobs of today and of tomorrow," said Nicole Johnson-Scales, Senior Vice President, Community and Economic Development, Fifth Third Bank.
Unique to this apprenticeship model will be the engagement of employers who commit to creating paid on-the-job training opportunities for apprentices in order to help meet their talent needs. Employers interested in joining Career Launch Chicago can contact info@CareerLaunchChicago.com.
"Career Launch Chicago is an exemplary model of how career and technical education can benefit students, teachers, employers, and our overall economy," said Congressman Krishnamoorthi. "Last year, my legislation, The Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act, was signed into law to reform our entire CTE system. Specifically, the law encourages the creation of more partnerships between employers, schools, and workforce experts to better prepare students for high-paying, in-demand jobs. Career Launch Chicago is one of the first new and robust programs to be implemented and I want to applaud Mayor Lightfoot, Chicago Public Schools, the City Colleges of Chicago, and the many education and industry leaders who are participating in this groundbreaking partnership."
More on illi News
- IntelChief Joins Movement to Shine a Spotlight on Fraud International Fraud Awareness Week, which kicks off Nov. 17, 2019 worldwide
- Appointment of Board Director and CEO, Quantgate Systems Inc. formerly Epcylon Technologies Inc
- NYC Church Takes A Radical Approach To Grief During Thanksgiving Weekend
- Regent Surgical Health Announces New Joint Venture Partnership in Alaska
- "Blades Direct Reviews" BladesDirect.net Announces New Shocker RX13 SHOXX Diamond Blade
High-quality apprenticeships provide students with advanced learning; paid, relevant work opportunities and mentors that can accelerate their chosen path without having to choose between college and career. Apprentices through Career Launch Chicago will engage in classroom learning, paid on-the-job training, mentorship, and the opportunity to transfer to full-time employment upon successful completion of the program. Career Launch Chicago apprentices will earn college credits through City Colleges of Chicago while still in high school.
"Career Launch Chicago students will gain the exposure and connections to break into high demand career fields they might otherwise have overlooked, and ultimately help ensure a more inclusive Chicago economy," said City Colleges of Chicago Chancellor Juan Salgado.
Mayor Lightfoot's administration is committed to strengthening career and technical education (CTE) programming for Chicago's youth. Earlier this summer, to support more high school students in achieving college and career success, Mayor Lightfoot and Dr. Jackson announced that, by 2023, all CTE students in CPS will receive some form of career exposure experience by the time they graduate, such as a job shadow, mock interview, or career site visit. CPS will also expand employer partnerships to ensure half of all eligible CTE students are matched with a career development experience, like an internship or apprenticeship, by 2023.
"Expanding access to meaningful apprenticeships and career-readiness support will help prepare more high school students from across the city for the jobs of tomorrow," said CPS Chief Education Officer LaTanya D. McDade. "Continuing to create opportunities for our students with industry leaders across Chicago through the Career Launch Chicago initiative exemplifies the district's vision of ensuring every student is prepared to succeed after they graduate."
Career Launch Chicago is a member of, and receives financial support from, the Partnership to Advance Youth Apprenticeship (PAYA) Network – a learning community designed to link dynamic partnerships that work to launch, expand and improve apprenticeship opportunities for high school-aged youth. Career Launch Chicago receives additional financial and technical support from Apprenticeship2020, a Chicago-based collaborative of philanthropies set up to help grow apprenticeships in nontraditional fields.
Latest on illi News
- Singapore FinTech Festival 2019 Reinvents IT industry
- Amerigo Announces partnership with St. Patrick-St. Vincent Catholic High School
- PearlFection Dentistry invests in state of the art Cone Beam CT scanner (3D imaging), Panoramic X-ray System, and Cephalometric X-ray system
- Bob Holz to Release New Album with Rolling Stones Bassist Darryl Jones
- Competitive Financial Solutions for Business Development
- Get Your Kids Ready for their 1st 5K with help from the Rotary Santa Run
- York Solutions Honors Chicago IT Leaders at Second Annual Business of IT Awards Ceremony
- Naperville Police Arrest Juvenile for Felony Disorderly Conduct
- Connected Real Estate Summit Launched in Partnership with the #TechSuperShow 2020 in Florida
- ICATT Apprenticeship Program Network Company Wins GACC Apprenticeship Award
- Northern Trust Corporation to Speak at the Goldman Sachs U.S. Financial Services Conference on December 11th
- Mayor Lightfoot Launches "New Start Chicago" Website to Help Residents Access New Debt Payment Plans
- Chicago: Mayor Lightfoot, CFD And PBC Break Ground on New State-Of-The-Art Fire Station on Far South Side
- Highly anticipated JD Coin launched in Idaho to take the Crypto World by Storm
- Axiros Announces A Strategic Technology Partnership With AudioCodes
- Peachtree Immediate Care Opens New Urgent Care Clinic in Tucker, GA
- Process Technology Wins Respected Fast Track 50 Award!
- Hacking Hollywood Film Summit and Pitch Fest
- Insurance Navy Joins Toys For Tots For Fundraising And Toy Donations
- Telaeris and Coppernic Partner on Identity Authentication Solution for Europe