"Today's announcement is a testament to Chicago's place as both a global transit hub and world-class destination for the tech industry to grow and thrive," said Mayor Lightfoot. "This investment also represents an important step in creating economic growth that is both dynamic and inclusive, with Uber leading by example through its collaboration with the Chicago Cook Workforce Partnership, helping ensure the jobs of the future are available for every resident, and no Chicagoan is left behind."
"Uber has long recognized the incredible history, innovation, and talent that Chicago has to offer, and we're excited about the thousands of new jobs our businesses will help bring as we become one of the city's largest technology employers," said CEO Dara Khosrowshahi. "Chicago is the heart of America's transportation and logistics industry, and there is no better place to continue to grow our teams and open our dedicated Freight HQ."
More on illi News
- New Agent Opens Up National Van Lines Northern California Market
- Jeron's Clinical Education Specialist and Enterprise Solutions at HIMSS20
- Digital Media Solutions Names Kathy Bryan As Chief Marketing Officer
- AutoQuotes and FEDA Announce New Strategic Partnership
- Lantek increases its turnover by 9.6%, reaching $23 million
As part of the company's strategy to support Chicago's tech ecosystem and talent hub at its second-largest office, Uber is partnering with the City of Chicago and the Chicago Cook Workforce Partnership (CCWP) in an effort to broaden the reach, access and impact of its workforce in Chicago's communities. To assist in this effort, CCWP will receive more than $80,000 in grant funding as part of Uber's Community Impact Initiative. With the majority of the hiring set to begin in 2020, Uber will leverage its platform to connect candidates from all parts of the city with local employers.
"We are honored to be the first recipient of Uber Technologies' Community Impact Initiative grant. With these funds, we will decrease transportation barriers for people seeking work. Additionally, we are pleased to serve as a source of untapped and diverse talent for the 2,000 jobs with Uber Freight," said Karin M. Norington-Reaves, CEO Chicago Cook Workforce Partnership. "Whether in information technology, logistics, distribution or professional services, our clients have the drive and ability to successfully contribute to Uber's labor force."
As one of Freight's primary engineering hubs, Uber Freight HQ will be focused on Freight engineering operations, sales and account management. Tech remains Chicago's fastest-growing industry sector, employing more than 143,000 people working with more than 4,000 digital companies – one of the largest tech talent pools in the United States. As one of the fastest-growing logistics companies in U.S. history, Uber Freight's relocation to Chicago is a testament to the city's growing, diversified tech economy, its inherent geographic location as a major transit hub and its strong talent pool.
More on illi News
- Significant farmland auction: 874 acres, with wind turbines, offered at auction in time for 2020 planting
- ELEKS Featured in IAOP's 2020 Global Outsourcing 100' List
- ThreeMain Goes Carbon Neutral, Sells Out Of Inventory
- Jordan Belfort, Wolf of Wall Street, to Speak at 7th Annual CEO Summit
- The Global Premedia Network (GPN) announced today further expansion of its strategic partnership with premedia providers from Europe and Oceania
Chicago also offers corporate partners like Uber access to some of the world's most connected cargo facilities at O'Hare, supporting trade to 45 nations every week. As the largest intermodal logistics hub in the nation, Chicago also is home to one of the nation's largest networks of trucking transportation and one of the top Interstate highway junctions in the U.S.
"Today's announcement from Uber further demonstrates Chicago's position as a global leader in tech, innovation and talent," said Andrea Zopp, president and CEO of World Business Chicago. "From major companies like Uber to rapidly growing start-ups, Chicago's tech economy is creating new jobs for our incredibly diverse talent pool."
In addition to today's expansion announcement, Uber is also launching a new transit feature to its Chicago-area app. The new transit technology will allow passengers to view public transit routes that will get them to their destination, along with departure and arrival times, and walking directions—encouraging passengers to adopt eco-friendlier multi-passenger modes of transportation.
Uber's newest office will serve as one of the company's primary engineering hubs and will fuel continued growth in tech jobs in Chicago. Among the company's fastest-growing business units, Uber Freight's free app matches carriers with shippers to eliminate friction in the supply chain and enable shippers to price, tender, and track freight at unprecedented scale and speed.
Latest on illi News
- Naperville: Structure Fire in the 800 Block of Proud Clarion Court
- Symplast Welcomes Former AtlasKPI Executive Randy Torban as Head of New Practice Analysis Department
- Keno Kozie Experts to Speak at ILTA's O365 Symposium
- Global Sales Expert and Former Xerox Executive Joins CEO Coaching International
- First Connecticut Office Building Tokenized
- Fire Protection Materials Market Worth $4.0 Billion by 2024 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™
- AAAEA-IL Announces New Executive Board Members For 2020 Term
- Telliant Systems Expands Digital Software Technology Outreach with Sponsorship at The TAG Summit in Atlanta
- Datavalet And Alpine Growth Partners Launch Growth And Acquisition Strategy With New Ceo
- Customer Scout Automotive SEO Receives "Highest Rated" DrivingSales Award
- Rock Guitarist Shares 3 Secrets To Playing Great Guitar Solos
- Insurance Labor Study Uncovers Difficult yet Optimistic Recruitment Environment
- Bone and Joint Institute of Tennessee Surgery Center Performs First Cases
- Naperville Police Investigate Weekend Car Burglaries
- IAOP Releases the 2020 Global Outsourcing 100
- Zezgo Rent A Car today announce the imminent opening of two branches in Jordan as the rollout of the new premium brand
- Cyient Inaugurates Wire Harness Lab for Production and Prototyping in its Peoria Office
- Amigo Events Announce Traditional Goan Carnival Event in London
- Aaron Gordon Officially Signs Deal with 361º
- Bystronic Introduces ByStar Fiber XL Laser Cutting Machine