"Today's announcement is a testament to Chicago's place as both a global transit hub and world-class destination for the tech industry to grow and thrive," said Mayor Lightfoot. "This investment also represents an important step in creating economic growth that is both dynamic and inclusive, with Uber leading by example through its collaboration with the Chicago Cook Workforce Partnership, helping ensure the jobs of the future are available for every resident, and no Chicagoan is left behind."
"Uber has long recognized the incredible history, innovation, and talent that Chicago has to offer, and we're excited about the thousands of new jobs our businesses will help bring as we become one of the city's largest technology employers," said CEO Dara Khosrowshahi. "Chicago is the heart of America's transportation and logistics industry, and there is no better place to continue to grow our teams and open our dedicated Freight HQ."
More on illi News
- Mayor Lightfoot, Chicago Public Schools, and The Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) Celebrate Arts and Culture at Solorio Academy High School
- BOMANI Cold Buzz™ Announces Partnership with Integrity Wellness Brands
- Attorney Chase Howard Joins Florida Healthcare Law Firm
- National Event for Singles Launches
- CivicScience Names Jack Randall as Chief Commercial Officer
As part of the company's strategy to support Chicago's tech ecosystem and talent hub at its second-largest office, Uber is partnering with the City of Chicago and the Chicago Cook Workforce Partnership (CCWP) in an effort to broaden the reach, access and impact of its workforce in Chicago's communities. To assist in this effort, CCWP will receive more than $80,000 in grant funding as part of Uber's Community Impact Initiative. With the majority of the hiring set to begin in 2020, Uber will leverage its platform to connect candidates from all parts of the city with local employers.
"We are honored to be the first recipient of Uber Technologies' Community Impact Initiative grant. With these funds, we will decrease transportation barriers for people seeking work. Additionally, we are pleased to serve as a source of untapped and diverse talent for the 2,000 jobs with Uber Freight," said Karin M. Norington-Reaves, CEO Chicago Cook Workforce Partnership. "Whether in information technology, logistics, distribution or professional services, our clients have the drive and ability to successfully contribute to Uber's labor force."
As one of Freight's primary engineering hubs, Uber Freight HQ will be focused on Freight engineering operations, sales and account management. Tech remains Chicago's fastest-growing industry sector, employing more than 143,000 people working with more than 4,000 digital companies – one of the largest tech talent pools in the United States. As one of the fastest-growing logistics companies in U.S. history, Uber Freight's relocation to Chicago is a testament to the city's growing, diversified tech economy, its inherent geographic location as a major transit hub and its strong talent pool.
More on illi News
- VLC solutions launches new content engagement platform
- PREMIERE: Modern Vices "All You Got" By: Rachel Zyzda
- Night of Champions 2019 to Showcase Illinois Standardbred Racing
- Nightstick Launches IS-Certified Dual-Light Rechargeable LED Lanterns
- Autumn in Japan's Ashikaga & Tatebayashi Areas
Chicago also offers corporate partners like Uber access to some of the world's most connected cargo facilities at O'Hare, supporting trade to 45 nations every week. As the largest intermodal logistics hub in the nation, Chicago also is home to one of the nation's largest networks of trucking transportation and one of the top Interstate highway junctions in the U.S.
"Today's announcement from Uber further demonstrates Chicago's position as a global leader in tech, innovation and talent," said Andrea Zopp, president and CEO of World Business Chicago. "From major companies like Uber to rapidly growing start-ups, Chicago's tech economy is creating new jobs for our incredibly diverse talent pool."
In addition to today's expansion announcement, Uber is also launching a new transit feature to its Chicago-area app. The new transit technology will allow passengers to view public transit routes that will get them to their destination, along with departure and arrival times, and walking directions—encouraging passengers to adopt eco-friendlier multi-passenger modes of transportation.
Uber's newest office will serve as one of the company's primary engineering hubs and will fuel continued growth in tech jobs in Chicago. Among the company's fastest-growing business units, Uber Freight's free app matches carriers with shippers to eliminate friction in the supply chain and enable shippers to price, tender, and track freight at unprecedented scale and speed.
Latest on illi News
- Peerless-AV® Partners With BIMsmith® to Provide Digital Models for Building Professionals
- The Pet Gal Named One of Top Austin Area Women-Owned Businesses for 2018 Total Revenue
- New World Record Efficiency with Flexible CIGS Solar Cell
- Habitu8 Named Official Video Partner for National Cyber Security Awareness Month
- Chicago: Mayor Lightfoot Introduces Ordinance to Establish Cannabis Requirements and Promote Equity in Expanding Industry
- Mayor Lightfoot's Statement on the Passing of Chicago Police Officer Paul Escamilla
- Spreading Free Smiles: Dental Clinic. Costa Family & Cosmetic Dentistry
- ZENB Expands Its Veggie Stick Line With New Pumpkin And Carrot Flavors
- The Relevancy Group releases The Relevancy Ring 2019 Customer Data Platform (CDP) Buyer's Guide
- PiCAN3 CAN Bus HAT for Raspberry Pi 4 with 3A Power Supply And Real-Time Clock
- Custom Pak Solutions doubles down as your All-in-One System Integrator of Packaging Solutions
- Mayor Lightfoot Joins the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events to Preview the 2019 Chicago Architecture Biennial
- The Patient Activation Measure® (PAM®) Assessment to be Incorporated into Select CMS Alternative Payment Models
- AutoQuotes Appoints New Chief Financial Officer
- Work 365 Offers New, Simplified Provisioning for Microsoft Indirect Partners
- A Crisis of Faith in America Has Led to Bold & Crazy Faith
- Innovative Tube Laser Processing From Bystronic
- Naperville: Firefighters Battle Kitchen Fire in the 100 Block of Tupelo Ave.
- M Accelerator and Black Dog Venture Partners form Strategic Partnership to Accelerate Foreign Startups entering the US Market
- Mancuso Auto Art Certified by Tesla