"All that we've witnessed and experienced over the past few months shows us that our neighborhoods need economic anchors now more than ever before," Mayor Lightfoot said. "These grants will help ensure that the South, Southwest and West sides of the City have viable, sustainable businesses that grow and thrive long after the current health crisis ends."
The finalists include an eclectic mix of businesses, each of which are a unique staple in the community they serve, including a grocery store in Auburn Gresham, a Back of the Yards delicatessen, an Austin fitness center, a custom bake shop in Little Village, and a sit-down restaurant in Bronzeville.
Valued at more than $12.6 million in total project costs, the selected rehabilitation and new construction projects were among 325 applicants to the Neighborhood Opportunity Fund during an application round this winter, the program's first under Mayor Lightfoot. The preliminary grant amounts range from approximately $37,000 to $250,000, and final grant amounts will be determined as projects are refined in the coming weeks and months.
"These grants are supporting business plans that, in some cases, have been years in the making," said DPD Commissioner Maurice Cox. "By providing financial resources that communities need and want, they'll help ensure that local business corridors remain centers of economic activity for their respective neighborhoods."
More on illi News
- Chicago: Mayor Lightfoot, City Departments and Street Outreach Partners Announce New Efforts to Ensure Safe and Healthy Fourth of July Weekend
- Amazing Local Summer Bucket List Destinations
- Law Offices of Charles G. Eichinger & Associates, P.C. Open and Ready to Help
- Torres Law Joins Alliott Group, The World's Sixth-Largest Multidisciplinary Alliance Of Professional Services Firms
- NetZoom Adds More Devices to the Most Extensive Microsoft Visio Stencils Library for Shapes, Templates, and Add-Ons
The City is implementing additional measures to directly address pandemic-related business needs under Mayor Lightfoot's direction. These measures include the Chicago Small Business Relief Fund, the Microbusiness Recovery Grant Program, as well as the Together Now Fund, which is partially financed by DPD's Neighborhood Opportunity Fund and Adopt-a-Landmark programs.
February's grant application process offered an online project-readiness tool and other new enhancements designed to foster applicant success, including expedited grant access and local hiring bonuses that make all project costs eligible for 100% funding through the program.
Grant finalists will be provided with concierge service by DPD to help with contracting, construction permits, licenses, 4inancing and other needs as the projects move forward in coming months. The complete list of finalists is below:
• Family Dental Care P.C, 3009 E. 92nd St.
• Bass Furniture & Rug Co., 11431 S. Michigan Ave.
• AWSB Holdings LLC, 8734 S. Stony Island Ave.
• Scott Enterprises, 11513 S. Michigan Ave.
• Gala Enterprises, 10658 S. Michigan Ave.
• Culver's, 810 E. 111th St.
• Brewer Coffee and Custard, 1008 W. 79th St.
• TnS Studio, 2320 E. 79th St.
• Allen Business Enterprises, LLC 530 E. 43rd St.
• CBQ Facial Beauty Bar LLC, 4458 S. Cottage Grove Ave.
• Hyde Bark Dog Walking and Pet Care LLC, 4534 S. Cottage Grove Ave.
• Spencer and Leak Sons Funeral Home LTD, 7845 S. Cottage Grove Ave.
• Posh Space Coworking, 1642 E. 79th St.
More on illi News
- EzPaycheck 2020 Payroll Software Is Flexible Enough to Accommodate Healthcare Establishments
- Senseeker Establishes In-House Wafer Testing Capability
- CEO Coaching International Congratulates Its Client Jamie Donnelly on CFO of the Year Award
- AUA College of Medicine Launches International Track for UK Medical Students
- CMC Group Inc. Announces Senior Leadership Transition
• Amour Salon Suites, 646-650 E. 43rd St.
• The Bronzeville Winery, 4420 S. Cottage Grove Ave.
• Bronzeville Office Suites, 48 E. Pershing Rd.
• Pearlezzious Poulence Enterprise, 8143 S. Racine Ave.
• Digital Adventures, 4259 S. Cottage Grove Ave.
• Lee's Unleaded Blues, 7401 S. South Chicago Ave.
• Free Street Theater, 4346 S. Ashland Ave.
• Elite Futures LLC, 1659 W. 51st St.
• KC Body Shop Supply, 6027 S. Kedzie Ave.
• Magnolia Screen Printing LLC, 2504 W. 63rd St.
• Xavier's Club 4456 S. Western Ave.
• Mr. Anthony's Cleaners, 5136 W. Chicago Ave.
• T&C Fitness Club LLC, 5906 W. Chicago Ave.
• Avery & Pryor Construction LLC, 4945 W. Division St.
• DLV Printing Service, Inc., 5825 W. Corcoran Ave.
• L. May Creations, 5938 W. Chicago Ave.
• Bombon Cake Gallery and Design, 3834 W. 26th St.
• Ground Control, 3961 W. Madison St.
• See Spot Run, 4118 W. Division St.
The Neighborhood Opportunity Fund was created by DPD in 2016 to allocate zoning fees from downtown construction projects toward business projects along South, Southwest and South side commercial corridors. Grants may be applied toward costs including building rehabilitation, new construction, design, site acquisition and preparation, technical services and other expenses.
Additional finalist information, including preliminary grant amounts, can be found at www.NeighborhoodOpportunityFund.com.
Latest on illi News
- Mayor Lightfoot and CDPH Announce $56m Grant to Chicago Cook Workforce Partnership and Partners to Bolster Contact Tracing Efforts for Covid-19 Cases in Chicago
- New Outdoor Sunlight Readable Touch Screen
- Palm Beach Dentist Dr. Mitchell Josephs Honored with Alpert JFS Volunteer Award
- Mother of Four Brings Online UX Designer Training to Stay at Home Moms
- Booms and Beats in Kansas City's West Bottoms Brings Entertainment Back to First Friday Weekends
- Ironside Human Resources selected for 2020 Dallas Small Business Excellence Award Dallas
- Sage IT selected as one of the "30 Fastest Growing Tech Companies" by The Silicon Review
- Intuit and NACCE Welcome Eleven Colleges to Phase II of Financial Management for Entrepreneurs Curriculum Initiative
- DeskProto® releases CAM software for Apple® computers
- Automotive Lighting Market Worth $34.9 Billion in 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™
- Autonomous, Inc Declares Support for Black Lives Matter
- REAL Trends + Tom Ferry Announce 2020 America's Best Real Estate Professionals List 8th Annual Real Estate Ranking
- Chicago: Mayor Lightfoot Announces $11 Million Allocation in Grant Funding for Projects in INVEST South/West Community Areas
- Pack Power™ Enables swyMed Telehealth Backpack
- Naperville Police Arrest Subject for Home Invasion
- SBG Sports Software Appointed as FIA Exclusive Official Supplier of Race Control System in a Multi-Year Partnership
- Hughes Shelton Realtors Ranked Among Top Real Estate Teams In Florida By Real Trends America's Best
- Ideanomics Announces Delivery Completion of Multiple EV Sales Orders
- 'Monetize inc' offers pre-sale home renovation option for real estate agents, sellers in Chicago
- Respiratory Care Devices Market Size Worth $29.9 Billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™