"Chicago's dedicated teachers play an essential role in our school communities and our children's lives, and they are driving the monumental academic gains made in classrooms across the city," said Mayor Lightfoot. "With our shared focus on ensuring every student has an equal opportunity to learn and thrive, the city is committed to working alongside teachers to strengthen our schools and hopes to finalize an agreement on a contract that fairly and generously compensates their service before the start of the school year."
As required by law, an independent fact finder — selected by both CPS and CTU — was charged with assessing the initial offers made by both parties and providing an objective recommendation for a fair contract that is in the best interest of teachers, students and taxpayers. In reaching a recommendation, the fact finder took into consideration thousands of pages of evidence, days of testimony, and closely reviewed CPS's financial situation. The fact finder's report aligns closely with the district's proposal and recommends a five-year contract, along with the following benefits for teachers:
More on illi News
- Astor Capital Fund in Talks to Carve Out $22M Tech Partnership Venture with Saudi Investors
- Astor Capital Fund to Expand Alternate Energy Division Globally
- Walk Up Coffee Shop necessary & sufficient Opens in Logan Square
- Ponos Industries LLC Extends Tender Offer for up to 14,000,000 Shares of Common Stock of AT&T Inc
- Ardor Learning Launches myEnglish Mobile App
- A 16% raise over five years for teachers and staff, for a total increase of $351 million in teacher salary raises; and No healthcare contribution increases the first two years of the contract and increases of only 1% in total in the final three years.
Under the proposal presented by the fact finder and recommended by the district, the average teacher would see their salary rise 24%, including the scheduled salary increases that teachers receive based on years of service. For example, a second-year teacher would see their salary rise from $53K in 2019 to over $72K in the final year of the agreement, which is equivalent to a 35% pay raise.
"As a former CPS teacher, I know how hard our dedicated educators work to ensure the children of Chicago can live up to their vast potential," said CPS CEO Dr. Janice K. Jackson. "Our teachers deserve a fair deal that rewards them for their service, and the proposal recommended by our independent fact finder would make that happen. We are raising our offer to match the fact finder's proposal, so that we can reach a deal that is fair to our teachers and allows our schools to continue their record-setting progress."
Apart from the fact-finding process, CPS and CTU have held dozens of bargaining sessions over the past several months. The bargaining teams will continue to meet multiple times a week until a contract agreement is reached.
More on illi News
- Chicago: Mayor Lightfoot Announces Proposal to Streamline Police, Fire and OEMC Administrative Units Under City's New Office of Public Safety Administration
- Peachtree Immediate Care Opens its 30th Center in Griffin, GA
- Shuj Roswell Lands Another Full Length Album, 'Setting Fire To The Stars'
- National Survey Debunks Celebrity Endorsements with Nearly 60% of Adults Claiming Medical Professionals are their Go-To Source for Weight Loss Info
- FantasyEsports.gg and Razer Announce Global Partnership to Deliver Innovative and Rewarding Fantasy Esports Platform
Under Mayor Lightfoot's leadership, CPS is making new investments to ensure an unprecedented level of equity in how it supports the needs of teachers, students, staff and families in school communities across the city. Earlier this year, Mayor Lightfoot and CPS announced a plan for enhancing career and technical education programming and boosting staffing for schools across the city. The plan will add 200 social worker positions, 250 nurse positions, and additional case managers over the next five years to support the district's highest-needs schools. Ninety-five of those positions have already been opened as part of the 2020 budget.
In addition, CPS' equity-focused 2020 budget increases funding for schools across the city while prioritizing $73 million in new classroom spending above last year, over $600 million in facilities upgrades, and the largest-ever investment in pre-k programming, which will add 100 new classrooms. The budget includes $31 million in first-of-its-kind Equity Grants to support schools experiencing low and declining enrollment, and over the course of the next year, CPS will engage the school community to ensure the school funding formula fully addresses the needs of schools and allows teachers and students to continue building on their record academic progress.
For more information, and to read the full fact finder report, visit cps.edu/factfinder.
Latest on illi News
- ManageAssist, Inc. Achieves Accreditation to issue the IACET CEU
- Watch Out! Calm Patch Tuesday Includes Sleeper Vulnerability
- The Wagner Agency Disrupts The Advertising Agency Model
- XLSX Support in GdPicture.NET and DocuVieware Document Imaging SDK
- PREMIERE:Modern Vices 'Not a Problem' off the upcoming album 'If Only' Video
- New Amazon Best Selling Author Bianca Modo Releases "Unscarred: Prayers For Healing"
- Making Wonders-Wonder Years Develops A Union Of Compassion And Health
- Bangers LP Selects Nightstick's TWM-Series Full Size and TCM-Series Compact Weapon Lights
- Hostfully and Rented.com partnership announcement
- MediTelecare Prepares Skilled Nursing Facilities for Next Phase of The Final Rule
- Mayor Lightfoot, The Chicago Park District and Chicago Fire Soccer Club Announce the Team's Return to Soldier Field
- MyBodyGallery.com Continues to Thrive After 10 Years
- Mayor Lightfoot, Chicago Public Schools, City Colleges of Chicago Announce First Round of Career Launch Chicago Partners
- Chat Sports to Broadcast Red River Celebrity Softball Game For 2nd Straight Year
- CEO Coaching International Congratulates Client Gincor Werx on Recognition as One of Canada's Fastest-Growing Companies
- Family Owned Luxury Leather Manufacturer Launches New Website
- Valogix LLC Exhibiting at Biz.One SAP User Conference
- Mérida, Capital of State of Yucatán Takes Top Spot at Condé Nast Traveler's 2019 Readers' Choice Award
- New Guide To "Making Good Shit Happen"
- Northwestern Mutual – Chicago Expands Frontline Leadership Team