"While a Chicago casino had been talked about for more than 30 years, today we are moving forward to ensure the new casino is viable for Chicago and all of its communities," said Mayor Lightfoot. "Thanks to our partnership with Governor Pritzker, Speaker Madigan, President Cullerton and other state leaders, together we are advancing a shared vision for new revenues that will benefit Chicago's severely underfunded pension funds, while generating new jobs and economic opportunity for communities across the city."
The study will analyze the economic viability of a Chicago casino within the legislative framework established by the new legislation. The third-party expert, with experience in regulations, operations, and gaming industry economics, will evaluate all relevant factors and report to the Illinois Gaming Board, the Illinois General Assembly, and the City of Chicago.
More on illi News
- 2019 Grand Master Marketer Recipient Wins Big With Excellent Digital and Marketing Solutions Partner
- Wreath Fineries at the Wineries!
- Hurricane releases cover of Queen / David Bowie classic "Under Pressure"
- Darin Buford Named Director for Northwestern Mutual – Chicago
- Amazing 81 Year Old Woman saves 800 dogs in 7 years!
Union Gaming was selected through a procurement led by the Illinois Gaming Board and consented to by the City of Chicago. The Illinois Gambling Act requires the Illinois Gaming Board to select a consultant with the City's consent within 10 days of the bill becoming law. The consultant then has 45 days to complete its revenue forecast and to deliver its findings to the state and the city.
The feasibility study will evaluate the impact of various sites to determine the impact on financeability, however this process is not designed to select a site. The City has submitted five sites to be tested, each of which has been previously considered for a prospective casino or other major development in the past, and are largely comprised of publicly owned land. The sites include: Harborside (111th and the Bishop Ford Freeway); the former Michael Reese hospital (31st and Cottage Grove); Pershing & State; Roosevelt & Kostner; and the former U.S. Steel parcel (80th and Lake Shore Dr).
Before a permanent site for the location is selected, the City will facilitate an open and thorough community engagement process to solicit meaningful feedback on preferred areas throughout the city. This community engagement process will start with an online survey, followed by a series of community town hall-style meetings to be scheduled at a later date.
More on illi News
- Visionary Author Dives Deep into the Underworld
- ICATT Apprenticeship Program Welcomes Kaskaskia College to its Network
- Chicago: Mayor Lightfoot, CTA Announce Transit-Oriented Development Planning Initiative for Land Near 95th/Dan Ryan Red Line Station
- Producer Alon Juwal To Be a Member of the Jerusalem Jewish Film Festival Jury
- Indeck Debuts "Indeck Answers" with Release of Steam Power Shopping Best Practices eBook
The passage of state law to authorize expanded gambling provisions statewide makes way for a City-driven process that will grant Chicago authority to determine what type of casino will be built and to partner with the Illinois Gaming Board to ensure it is operated and regulated appropriately. City Council approval of a casino is also required by ordinance.
A Chicago casino has been anticipated for several years, and only under Mayor Lightfoot's leadership has it received the requisite legislative approvals to go forward. Under the state law, new revenues from a Chicago casino will be directed to shore up Chicago's underfunded police and fire pensions. It is estimated that a Chicago casino will create thousands of jobs for the community.
Latest on illi News
- Ken Hawkins Joins Pinnacle Actuarial Resources as Consulting Actuary
- Mayor Lightfoot Launches Chicago Energy Rating System
- George Clinton sparks a Phat Blunt with Miss Velvet and The Blue Wolf
- Country Star Gary West Readies for Worldwide Releases
- JMN Logistics and Transportation Announces Largest One-Time Asset Investment in Company History Adding 16 New Trucks
- Gone Too Soon! The Life of Top Charting Artist and Producer
- Exegistics Named to the 2019 Inc. 5000 List of Fastest-Growing Private Companies
- Naperville: Project Applicants Sought for Special Events and Cultural Amenities (SECA) Grant Fund Program
- B & D Precision Selects Local Advertising Company For Marketing
- Menufy Taps into Postmates to Increase On-Demand Business for Restaurants
- Tales of Wonder and Dread Releases New Lovecraftian Books
- Wipe Data on Android with new iShredder Android GOVERNMENT and ENTERPRISE edition
- Pet Products Zone: Highly-Desired Pet Products for Your Four-Legged Friends
- Sinq Technologies Provides Increased Efficiency with New, Multiple Partnerships
- Regent Revenue Cycle Management Expands Service Infrastructure to Accommodate Next Phase of Growth
- Introducing the Fox&Summit® Wi-Fi Pull Cord Sensor for the Connected Home
- Mayor Lightfoot And Chicago Park District Announce Record Season With Over 90,000 Participants This Summer
- Naperville Police: Celebrate Safely This Labor Day; Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over
- Everok taps Chain.io to power digital innovation throughout its global freight forwarding network
- City Of Chicago Prepares For Back To School With Community Cleanups Along Safe Passage Routes