"The men and women we celebrate today are joining a community of brothers and sisters in an institution that has helped shape Chicago's history," said Mayor Lightfoot. "This next generation of Chicago's firefighters and paramedics deserves not only our admiration but our commitment to provide them with the world-class training and wellness supports they need to succeed. As mayor, I commit that the City will live up to that mission and obligation."
Today's graduating class includes 33 military veterans, 20 former Chicago Police Officers and 11 former graduates of Chicago Public Schools. The 110 new Firefighters are 44% minority, and five are females.
In addition, this graduation ceremony also recognizes 30 new paramedics who will begin their district assignments with CFD Emergency Medical Services this month.
More on illi News
- Cboe Global Markets to Present at the Credit Suisse 2020 Financial Services Forum on Thursday, February 27
- Google Will Index Sites Linked With No-Follow
- Lab Properties' New Sale-Leaseback Program Provides Cannabis Operators with Working Capital
- Inna Organic Receives Global Recognition as Premium Clean Beauty Brand
- Mayor Lightfoot Announces Bold, Ambitious Community-Centered Policy Agenda to Lift Chicagoans Out of Poverty and Economic Hardship at the STEP (Solutions Toward Ending Poverty) Summit
"Sometimes a profession chooses a person, but it requires special individuals, such as our candidates, to choose this vocation," said Fire Commissioner Richard C. Ford II. "I like to think that working for the Chicago Fire Department is more of a calling. Our city is better off today than it was yesterday because of the promise these recruits have made to be there when people need them the most."
Candidates graduating today completed a rigorous six-month training course at the Robert Quinn Fire Academy that includes courses for certification as an emergency medical technician (EMT) and Illinois Firefighter or Fire Paramedic. Training includes not only basic firefighting skills, but also operation in confined space and specific rescue techniques for search, rescue and extrication as well as coordinating medical services with hospitals, mental health clinicians and dispatchers.
Paramedics are licensed by an accredited institution before joining the Fire Department, and new members will begin their district assignments with CFD Emergency Medical Services this month. Following graduation, the new members will be assigned to various firehouses based on department needs and lottery selection.
Last September, Mayor Lightfoot recognized 131 Firefighter EMTs and Fire Paramedics during a graduation ceremony at Navy Pier.
Latest on illi News
- AutoQuotes and FEDA Announce New Strategic Partnership
- Lantek increases its turnover by 9.6%, reaching $23 million
- Significant farmland auction: 874 acres, with wind turbines, offered at auction in time for 2020 planting
- ELEKS Featured in IAOP's 2020 Global Outsourcing 100' List
- ThreeMain Goes Carbon Neutral, Sells Out Of Inventory
- Jordan Belfort, Wolf of Wall Street, to Speak at 7th Annual CEO Summit
- The Global Premedia Network (GPN) announced today further expansion of its strategic partnership with premedia providers from Europe and Oceania
- TV Personality Santana Rodriguez Inks Deal with New Media Company, Expanding Audience for Her Popular TV Series "Shaping Up with Santana"
- Metavivor Announces Additional Metastatic Breast Cancer Research Awards
- Patriot Travel Reviews 7 New Viking River Cruise Ships for 2020
- Various Measures Introduced to and Approved by the Chicago City Council
- "The Art of Email Security" Book Seeks To Help Companies Improve Their Cybersecurity Culture
- Sterling Trading Tech Releases Custom Margin Rates and Enhanced VAR for Its Real-Time Risk Engine
- Registration For The Fourth Annual Broccoli City Weekend Conference (#broccolicon2020) May 7-8th Now Open
- FuseFX, Award-Winning VFX Provider Expands with New Atlanta Location
- AbbVie Inc. - Rule 2.10 Announcement - Relevant Securities in Issue
- New research shows the majority of business writing isn't successful
- New Viruses Create Urgent Need for Fresh Flight product
- New Version of HLN's Award Winning Open Source Immunization Forecaster Released
- Northern Trust Corporation to Speak at the Credit Suisse Financial Services Forum on February 27th