"The men and women we celebrate today are joining a community of brothers and sisters in an institution that has helped shape Chicago's history," said Mayor Lightfoot. "This next generation of Chicago's firefighters and paramedics deserves not only our admiration but our commitment to provide them with the world-class training and wellness supports they need to succeed. As mayor, I commit that the City will live up to that mission and obligation."
Today's graduating class includes 33 military veterans, 20 former Chicago Police Officers and 11 former graduates of Chicago Public Schools. The 110 new Firefighters are 44% minority, and five are females.
In addition, this graduation ceremony also recognizes 30 new paramedics who will begin their district assignments with CFD Emergency Medical Services this month.
More on illi News
- Strides for Peace Hosts 7th Annual Race Against Gun Violence - Virtual!
- LaRoy Mack Brings Safe Money & Income Radio To Chicago
- Zwolinski, Jenkins Launch Skillsgapp To Reach GenZ With Skills-Based Gaming App Training
- Superior Application Technology Meets Advanced Chemistry
- Refractories Market worth $27.4 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™
"Sometimes a profession chooses a person, but it requires special individuals, such as our candidates, to choose this vocation," said Fire Commissioner Richard C. Ford II. "I like to think that working for the Chicago Fire Department is more of a calling. Our city is better off today than it was yesterday because of the promise these recruits have made to be there when people need them the most."
Candidates graduating today completed a rigorous six-month training course at the Robert Quinn Fire Academy that includes courses for certification as an emergency medical technician (EMT) and Illinois Firefighter or Fire Paramedic. Training includes not only basic firefighting skills, but also operation in confined space and specific rescue techniques for search, rescue and extrication as well as coordinating medical services with hospitals, mental health clinicians and dispatchers.
Paramedics are licensed by an accredited institution before joining the Fire Department, and new members will begin their district assignments with CFD Emergency Medical Services this month. Following graduation, the new members will be assigned to various firehouses based on department needs and lottery selection.
Last September, Mayor Lightfoot recognized 131 Firefighter EMTs and Fire Paramedics during a graduation ceremony at Navy Pier.
Latest on illi News
- Wild Weekend Planned for Int'l Wild Bunch Film Fest in Willcox Arizona, Oct 2/4
- AUA announces Master of Public Health Collaboration with FIU Stempel College to allow students to pursue both medical and public health degrees
- AcadianKitchens.com Launches With Free Shipping on the Best Cajun Food in the Country
- Emerald Escapes Receives the 2020 Best of Spring Texas Award
- Ankin Law Office Presents: Reasons Your Social Security Claim Keeps Getting Denied
- Keller Williams ONEChicago Welcomes Anthony "Tony" Hardy as Executive Director of its Multi-Family Division
- DeskProto® releases free CAM software for Linux
- Willow House Hosts Week To Remember Virtual Events To Honor Loved Ones Lost
- Evolve IP Integrates Business Messaging Into Microsoft Teams; Enhances Microsoft's Direct Routing Solution
- BeBop Sensors & Talon Simulations Awarded Epic MegaGrant to develop a haptic glove-driven, full-motion VR trainer built for the Unreal Engine
- Eric Rudnick MD FAAD Returns to Boca Raton Hometown to Open Dazzling Dermatology
- Freight Right partners with Chain.io to bring real time shipment visibility to FreightOs customers
- Helena auditioned for Atlantic Records left everyone mesmerized, she is the real deal a rare combination of beauty and talent -Leon Youngblood SR
- American Cannabis Company-Helping you create a profitable business
- Sohum Living Soils- The best soil for your growing needs
- COVID Survivor and Emmy Nominee Launches Mask & T-shirt Line for Mental Health
- Rare Video as Couple Flees Oregon Fires
- Chicago's Race Against Gun Violence Announces Live Stream Celebration
- Lee Enterprises Consulting Adds New Sections and Promotes Three to VP
- Veteran-Owned Publishing Firm Begins PREORDER Sales of NEW Groundbreaking Marketing Guidebook for Transitioning Military Members, Spouses & Veterans