"To those who are alone, we are with you. To those who need a home, we will shelter you. For those who have little, we will do much. We see you. We hear you. We are your neighbors. And—so help me—we will not pass you by," said Mayor Lightfoot.
Mayor Lightfoot took the oath of office administered by the Honorable Susan E. Cox, Magistrate Judge, U.S. District Court of the Northern District of Illinois and long-time friend of the Mayor. Preceding Mayor Lightfoot taking the oath, Clerk Anna Valencia, all fifty City Council members (including 12 new members), and Treasurer Melissa Conyears-Ervin were also sworn in.
More on illi News
- George Clinton sparks a Phat Blunt with Miss Velvet and The Blue Wolf
- Country Star Gary West Readies for Worldwide Releases
- JMN Logistics and Transportation Announces Largest One-Time Asset Investment in Company History Adding 16 New Trucks
- Gone Too Soon! The Life of Top Charting Artist and Producer
- Exegistics Named to the 2019 Inc. 5000 List of Fastest-Growing Private Companies
The presentation of colors was given by the Phoenix Military Academy JROTC.
The Pledge of Allegiance was performed by 17-year old Arturo Ballesteros from Back of the Yards College Prep and the National Anthem was performed by Miguel Cervantes of Chicago's "Hamilton" accompanied by the Chicago Sinfonietta.
Musical entertainment included Chicago Gay Men's Chorus, Puerto Rican Arts Alliance, After School Matters Choir, Native Veterans Group of Trickster Art Gallery, Ribbon Town Drum from Pokagon Band of Potawatomi, Chicago Sinfonietta - Project Inclusion, Merit School of Music, Alfreda Burke & Rodrick Dixon accompanied by Fred Nelson III, Lizz Wright accompanied by Kenny Banks and Bagpipes & Drums of the Emerald Society of the Chicago Police Department.
Faith leaders participating in the program included Rev. Dr. L. Bernard Jakes of West Point
Missionary Baptist Church, Imam Tariq I. El-Amin of Masjid Al-Taqwa, Rev. Dr. Beth Brown of Lincoln Park Presbyterian Church, Rabbi Capers C. Funnye, Jr of Beth Shalom B'Nai Zaken Ethiopian Hebrew Congregation and Father Thomas J. Hurley of Old Saint Patrick's Church.
More on illi News
- Naperville: Project Applicants Sought for Special Events and Cultural Amenities (SECA) Grant Fund Program
- B & D Precision Selects Local Advertising Company For Marketing
- Menufy Taps into Postmates to Increase On-Demand Business for Restaurants
- Tales of Wonder and Dread Releases New Lovecraftian Books
- Wipe Data on Android with new iShredder Android GOVERNMENT and ENTERPRISE edition
Steppenwolf Ensemble Member Amy Morton served as the Master of Ceremonies.
Following the inaugural ceremony, Mayor Lightfoot and First Lady Amy Eshleman will greet members of the public at City Hall during a public open house from 2-4pm.
Mayor Lightfoot is Chicago's first black female, and first openly gay mayor. Lightfoot is the second woman to be elected to the post in Chicago's history.
The full text of the speech is available HERE. The inauguration in its entirety can be viewed at [http://%20www.bettertogetherchicago.com]www.bet... and [http://%20www.chicago.gov/livestream]www.chicag....
Latest on illi News
- Chicago rapper shares five tips for upstart musicians
- My Family's Favorite Crock Pot Dinners
- John Travolta To Make Wizard World Debut In Chicago, Saturday, August 24
- Work 365 Sync for Self-Service and Provisioning Automation
- Mayor Lightfoot and Comcast Announce Largest Ever Expansion of Internet Essentials in Chicago
- Disruptive Startup Award @ Stanford
- Refereum rewards Dauntless players over USD $3,000 in prizes
- Chicago: Mayor Lightfoot Announces State of The City Address and Budget Town Halls
- Durante Rentals Makes the Inc. 5000 List for Seventh Straight Year
- Thiel College's safety program one of two Pennsylvania institutions recognized by top credentialing organizations
- From Urban Freelancer To Growing International Agency
- Naperville: City Welcomes New Information Technology Director to Leadership Team
- The United States Legal 500 Name Recognizes Fennemore Craig's Real Estate Practice
- RTM Makes Inc. 5000 List of America's Fastest-Growing Private Companies for Sixth Year
- Chicago: Mayor Lightfoot, CPD Launch Two New Area Technology Centers to Solve Crimes Faster and Improve Clearance Rate
- Insurance Navy Brokers Introduces New Health Service CareClix
- America's Fastest-Growing Private Companies: Revealed
- Mayor Lightfoot Announces 22nd Annual Chicago Football Classic
- Threshold Named among the Nation's Top Companies on the 2019 Inc. 5000
- Digital Media Solutions Secures Sixth Consecutive Ranking On Inc. 5000 List