The communities "did an exceptional job, working tirelessly in a multitude of ways to earn their designations," said Geneva, Ill. Mayor Kevin Burns, who chairs the Metropolitan Mayors Caucus Environment Committee. "In addition, their staffs collaborated with counterparts at other municipalities to share resources and provide advice, assisting each other in their quests to achieve SolSmart designation."
The Caucus served as a SolSmart Advisor to 20 communities and was the chief catalyst in the communities' drive to seek designation.
SolSmart is a national program designed to recognize communities that have taken key steps to foster the growth of mature local solar markets. Communities that meet the official criteria are designated SolSmart Gold, Silver, or Bronze. SolSmart is led by The Solar Foundation and the International City/County Management Association, and funded by the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Energy Technologies Office.
More on illi News
- Insurance Labor Study Uncovers Difficult yet Optimistic Recruitment Environment
- Bone and Joint Institute of Tennessee Surgery Center Performs First Cases
- Naperville Police Investigate Weekend Car Burglaries
- IAOP Releases the 2020 Global Outsourcing 100
- Zezgo Rent A Car today announce the imminent opening of two branches in Jordan as the rollout of the new premium brand
To achieve Silver designation, Naperville earned at least 100 points for adopting solar best practices across eight categories of strategic SolSmart activities. These include updating ordinances to allow solar development in the community more broadly, and training inspection staff on best practices for permitting and inspecting solar systems.
For transparency and efficiency, Naperville also created a very important solar installation permitting checklist, and posted it on the community's website. This not only allows local residents to see the process, but helps those applying for a solar permit to produce the necessary forms far more easily, completely, and quickly.
With the 23 new designations, Illinois shot past California and Colorado as the state with the most communities that have earned the SolSmart distinction. Indeed, the Chicago region's solar growth has been striking. The area was the top metro for solar jobs growth in the nation last year, with 1,180 jobs added in 2018 for a total of 4,275 jobs, according to The Solar Foundation's National Solar Jobs Census 2018.
One reason for the Chicago area's boost is the Greenest Region Compact (GRC), developed by the Metropolitan Mayors Caucus. This unique document guides municipal sustainability planning and unifies environmental action, regionally, through community collaboration. Its energy goals include advancing renewable energy and enacting policies to support clean energy. Naperville, like nearly all the SolSmart designated communities, signed onto the GRC.
More on illi News
- Cyient Inaugurates Wire Harness Lab for Production and Prototyping in its Peoria Office
- Amigo Events Announce Traditional Goan Carnival Event in London
- Aaron Gordon Officially Signs Deal with 361º
- Bystronic Introduces ByStar Fiber XL Laser Cutting Machine
- A.R. Rahman Begins Recording "Hands Around the World" song to fundraise against climate change, in Los Angeles
"Each community awarded SolSmart designation deserves their business owners' and other citizens' appreciation for providing clean, solar energy options, and advancing the Greenest Region Compact's commitment to enhanced sustainability," Mayor Burns says.
Lesley McCain of the Illinois Solar Energy Association added, "The GRC in partnership with SolSmart has been instrumental in deepening the towns' understanding of what solar can do – the jobs and environmental benefits," she said. "We saw that towns did not have robust processes for permitting or allowances for solar. A lot of them were kind of waiting for some help to move forward. And the Greenest Region Compact through SolSmart has really advanced that."
Latest on illi News
- Three ISACA Credentials Rank Among 10 Highest-Paying Tech Certifications
- Mauser Packaging Solutions Invests in State-of-the-Art F-Style Can Lines
- INC Advisors offers Real Time Succession & Valuation Platform
- Northwestern Mutual–Chicago Donates $4K to Ronald McDonald House Charities Chicagoland & Northwest
- Symplast to Showcase Top Ranked Mobile EHR at Inaugural MIAMI COSMETIC SURGERY Meeting
- Ring Founder, Jamie Siminoff to Deliver Keynote at 7th Annual CEO Summit
- STG Logistics Welcomes Four New Vice Presidents to Sales Team
- Two Dogs Generate Over $100,000 For Critical Surgical Care For Children
- Naperville: Air Conditioner Rebates Are Now Being Offered
- Vicki Farnam Centers Off-Body Training Course Around GTM Original Products
- ONE PARK FINANCIAL: One of the "Best and Brightest" Companies in the U.S
- Kratom Prices Are Dropping Even Though FDA and Indonesian Kratom Ban Is Looming in 2024
- New York City Author/Journalist Sues Boeing Over Exploding Boeing 737 Airplane Engine On Southwest Flight 1380
- Naperville: Crime Stoppers Offer Reward in Case of Criminal Damage to a School
- Origami Risk Named Among Nation's Best and Brightest Companies to Work For
- mPower Technology Accelerates Growth with Expansion of Executive Team and Establishment of San Diego Office
- Bonkers Toys Continues To Lead The Way with YouTube Inspired Toys by Partnering with the Stars of Trinity & Beyond and Braille Skateboarding
- New Service Now Available in O'Fallon, IL to Help Keep Older Drivers Safe
- Insightra Medical Inc. launches "The Hernia Alliance"
- G&D Integrated Announces Acquisition Of South Carolina-Based Trucking Company